Author Topic: AT&T acknowledges massive data leak affecting 73MILLION users as the telecom giant resets account pa  (Read 725 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

AT&T acknowledges massive data leak affecting 73MILLION users as the telecom giant resets account passcodes for customers - after previously denying they'd been compromised

The phone carrier acknowledged a massive data leak and reset passcodes for its millions of customers this week

The dataset affects around 7.6 million current AT&T account holders and 65.4 million former account holders
By DOLORES CHANG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 13:10 EDT, 30 March 2024 | UPDATED: 13:23 EDT, 30 March 2024

AT&T reset account passcodes for millions of customers this week after acknowledging a massive data leak that affected more than 73 million users.

The telecom giant said the leaked dataset appears to be from 2019 or earlier, impacting around 7.6 million current AT&T account holders and 65.4 million former account holders.

The leaked dataset includes names, home addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth, as reported by TechCrunch.

A security researcher who analyzed the dataset found it contained encrypted passcodes, prompting the carrier to initiate a resetting process, according to the outlet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13255213/AT-T-massive-data-leak-73MILLION-resets-passcodes.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
After being assured that AT&T was putting up more towers for better coverage here (all along the highway, i guess, because service in the boonies was often nil), I went with verizon and dropped AT&T after a brief period of having both.

That was over 10 years ago, so maybe they didn't give out any data on me.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

So this data leak came in 2019 or prior!!! Give me a break. How much damage has been done?