Author Topic: VA, other fed agencies must show their AI tools are safe, Harris says  (Read 269 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
VA, other fed agencies must show their AI tools are safe, Harris says
By Matt O'Brien, The Associated Press
 Thursday, Mar 28

(AP) — U.S. federal agencies must show that their artificial intelligence tools aren’t harming the public, or stop using them, under new rules unveiled by the White House on Thursday.

“When government agencies use AI tools, we will now require them to verify that those tools do not endanger the rights and safety of the American people,” Vice President Kamala Harris told reporters ahead of the announcement.

Each agency by December must have a set of concrete safeguards that guide everything from facial recognition screenings at airports to AI tools that help control the electric grid or determine mortgages and home insurance.

The new policy directive being issued to agency heads Thursday by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget is part of the more sweeping AI executive order signed by President Joe Biden in October.

https://www.militarytimes.com/it-networks/ai/2024/03/28/va-other-fed-agencies-must-show-their-ai-tools-are-safe-harris-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: VA, other fed agencies must show their AI tools are safe, Harris says
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 03:34:03 pm »

(AP) — U.S. federal agencies must show that their artificial intelligence tools aren’t harming the public, or stop using them, under new rules unveiled by the White House on Thursday.

Coming from this administration you know this is nonsense.  Are they trying to say they wouldn't use it is in a Jan. 6 situation, to stifle free speech, to monitor the internet, keep an eye on Christians, on conservatives, on political opposition?  To block conservative groups with special interests, republican plans, keep tabs on certain members of congress, monitor certain members of the supreme court?  It should be fairly clear they are doing all these already and more we don't know about.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 03:34:59 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson