Author Topic: On the Ice with Marines Preparing for War in the Arctic  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
On the Ice with Marines Preparing for War in the Arctic
« on: March 31, 2024, 03:20:13 pm »
On the Ice with Marines Preparing for War in the Arctic

Military.com | By Drew F. Lawrence
Published March 29, 2024 at 5:48am ET

We’re in a Norwegian valley, high above the Arctic Circle. It’s late afternoon in early March and a group of more than a dozen infantry Marines are standing around two chaplains, one American and the other Norwegian. It’s windy, cold. The Marines hold laminated prayer cards in dense gloves, and some are shifting back and forth to stay warm. A radio chatters in the background with reports from the front.

“That symbol – that cross – came to signify that Rome could force people to obey out of fear, obedience out of fear of being raised upon that cross,” a Marine chaplain said. “And Christ says, 'I will destroy the fear of death and dying. I myself will be raised upon that cross in order to evoke life and hope.'”

Article Five of the NATO agreement – if one is attacked, all are attacked – is a provision that binds these NATO countries together. The last – and only – time it has been invoked was in the aftermath of 9/11 when “NATO rallied in support of the USA,” according to Vice Adm. Doug Perry, commander of Joint Force Command-Norfolk. Decades later, he said the alliance is now more relevant than ever because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/29/ice-marines-preparing-war-arctic.html

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson