Author Topic: DOD in early talks to fund a peacekeeping force in Gaza  (Read 602 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DOD in early talks to fund a peacekeeping force in Gaza
« on: March 31, 2024, 03:00:30 pm »
DOD in early talks to fund a peacekeeping force in Gaza
U.S. officials have been clear the plan would not include American boots on the ground.

By ALEXANDER WARD, LARA SELIGMAN and JOSEPH GEDEON

03/28/2024 12:50 PM EDT

Biden administration officials are in preliminary “conversations” about options for stabilizing post-war Gaza, including a proposal for the Pentagon to help fund either a multinational force or a Palestinian peacekeeping team.

The options being considered would not involve U.S. troops on the ground, according to two Defense Department officials and two other U.S. officials, all granted anonymity to discuss the closed-door diplomatic and military negotiations. Instead, DOD funding would go toward the needs of the security force and complement assistance from other countries.

Asked for comment, a senior administration official said “we are working with partners on various scenarios for interim governance and security structures in Gaza once the crisis recedes,” declining to detail specifics. “We’ve had a number of conversations with both the Israelis and our partners about key elements for the day after in Gaza when the time is right.”

It could be weeks or months before Washington and its partners approve any plan, especially since regional players want to see a commitment to a two-state solution before seriously engaging with the options. There are also questions about the viability of training a potential Palestinian-led force in time to maintain order in Gaza, which has been decimated after five months of brutal fighting.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/28/dod-in-early-talks-to-fund-a-peacekeeping-force-in-gaza-00149547
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: DOD in early talks to fund a peacekeeping force in Gaza
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 03:03:13 pm »

U.S. officials have been clear the plan would not include American boots on the ground.

This is utter bullsh*t.  They may wish that to be the case but history of the US involvements in the 21st century say elsewise. :MiniGun:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 09:27:39 pm »
Gaza is not a part of America that need American protection?

When did this happen?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 09:29:06 pm »
How about the Saudis funding it?  It's not our problem.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:06 pm »
How about the Saudis funding it?  It's not our problem.

@Timber Rattler 

Works for me.

How about all the Jews who live in America but whose hearts "live" in Israel instead of America donate all their money to Israel,and even go there and don uniforms?

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 10:21:10 pm »
I will say that I do not want American boots on the ground in that hell hole. The end.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 10:57:56 pm »
Why get directly involved at all? Make a lend-lease type agreement with Israel and Ukraine, and let them deal with it. Especially in the former case, we'd risk having 'peacekeeping/nationbuilding/whatever they want to call it' forces entangled forever.
Disengage the US from anything to directly do with the conflict besides helping our allies stay armed. We've had well over twenty years, longer if you go back to the Beirut barracks bombing, of involvement, no matter how peripherally. In the meantime, our own border is being overrun. If American blood is to be shed, let it be for our own defense.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 11:02:09 pm »
Why get directly involved at all? Make a lend-lease type agreement with Israel and Ukraine, and let them deal with it. Especially in the former case, we'd risk having 'peacekeeping/nationbuilding/whatever they want to call it' forces entangled forever.
Disengage the US from anything to directly do with the conflict besides helping our allies stay armed. We've had well over twenty years, longer if you go back to the Beirut barracks bombing, of involvement, no matter how peripherally. In the meantime, our own border is being overrun. If American blood is to be shed, let it be for our own defense.

@Smokin Joe

And THERE it is!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 04:43:09 pm »
How should I say this ... Oh! Hell! NO!!!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 10:07:10 pm »
There's already a "peacekeeping force" in Gaza.

It's called the "IDF".

And that ain't no April Fool's day joke.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 10:11:01 pm »
I will say that I do not want American boots on the ground in that hell hole. The end.

:thumbsup:  ---- Not anywhere in the quicksand known as the Middle East.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:12:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »