Author Topic: Cesar Chavez Couldn’t Get the Feds to Enforce the Border, Either  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cesar Chavez Couldn’t Get the Feds to Enforce the Border, Either

By MARK KRIKORIAN
March 28, 2024 8:31 AM

“What the heck’s going on? It’s just — it’s a complete breakdown of the law. They’re not doing anything.”

This isn’t Donald Trump at a rally complaining about the Biden crowd’s maladministration of the border. It was Cesar Chavez’s assessment of immigration enforcement under an earlier Democratic administration, in a speech delivered 45 years ago at the National Press Club in Washington.

The more things change . . .

This Sunday, March 31, isn’t just Easter — it’s also National Border Control Day, i.e., Cesar Chavez’s birthday. And on his birthday, it’s worth reflecting on the difficulty in getting immigration laws enforced when powerful interests don’t want them to be.

For the past three years, the federal agency responsible for preventing illegal entry into the United States has instead been facilitating and even encouraging it. And for almost as long, Texas, with the majority of its border with Mexico, has been doing whatever it can think of to stymie illegal immigration.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/cesar-chavez-couldnt-get-the-feds-to-enforce-the-border-either/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson