Author Topic: Just Look At Kansas  (Read 9359 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Just Look At Kansas
« on: March 31, 2024, 05:23:28 am »
I moved to Lenexa, Kansas in late 1990.

Joan Finney had been elected and was getting set to be governor.  She was a democrat.  And not just a democrat, but a little on the Whacky Side.

In 1994, Bill Graves took over and served eight years.  His affiliation is Republican, but he was about as milque toast RINO as you could be. 

Graves served two terms and was replaced by Kathleen Sebelius.  You know....of the Oamacare ilk.  She was awful.

Mark Parkinson finished her second term for her.

So for my first 22 years there, I never saw a good solid conservative in the state house. 

But Kansas was "Deep Red" right ?

Hardly. 

The biggest issue was that Conservatives and Moderates could not work together.  And when the moderates didn't feel included, they just hopped on board with the left and elected some real losers.

Brownback was elected in 2012 and he turned out to be a POS. 

He was replaced by....yep, a democrat.

He was never that bright and it really showed.

Just a thought for you purists who think you are going to purge the party. 

The democrat who won Laura Kelly was endorsed by......Sebelius.....Bill Graves.....Nancy Kasebaum (former Kansas REPUBLICAN Senator) and host of others.

She didn't win by much.....but who cares.  Except for that idiot Brownback, Kansas will have had democratic or RINO governmors for most of the past 40 years when she leaves office.

A RED STATE....you but.

But one that still doesn't seem to like hard core conservatives.

Arizona might want to understand that. 

Not stumping for moderates. 

But you don't need to piss them off while you are running.

We'll see if we learn.

https://www.nga.org/former-governors/kansas/

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/6/18056676/midterm-election-results-kansas-governor-laura-kelly-winner

Offline Mod2

Re: Just Look At Kansas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 11:45:41 am »
Moved to Exclusive Content category

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 02:50:00 pm »
Keep us informed as to what happens with this election cycle.

The left keeps winning because they have NO sense of right and wrong and lying comes as naturally  to them as breathing,and the right keeps losing because they are TOO morally rigid and nobody  on the right wants to cooperate with  anyone else on the right because "they aren't moral enough for me".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:33 pm »
Moved to Exclusive Content category

I don't get why.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 08:24:47 pm »

The left keeps winning because they have NO sense of right and wrong and lying comes as naturally  to them as breathing,and the right keeps losing because they are TOO morally rigid and nobody  on the right wants to cooperate with  anyone else on the right because "they aren't moral enough for me".

I disagree.

There is a left.  There is a right.  There is a large center.

Rigid, in your face politics is not what people like. 

While the left always appeals with "solutions" that intellectually lazy people grab on to, the right isn't far behind with things like MAGA.

Kansas has a history of combative, I'm the man, kind of right wingers who the voters simply inform "not today".

And this is why Kansas is where it is.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 09:05:48 pm »
I disagree.

There is a left.  There is a right.  There is a large center.

Rigid, in your face politics is not what people like. 

@HikerGuy83

Yet there are so many people standing in that line.

While the left always appeals with "solutions" that intellectually lazy people grab on to, the right isn't far behind with things like MAGA.

More stupid "anti-rich  orange man" nonsense.

Trump did NOT create the conditions that exist today that made him "the last man standing to defend America".

THAT was the 'murikan left and the clueless cretins whose kneejerk reactions is to always run around in circles screaming about how "The sky is falling!"

You know,people like you.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 01:10:18 am »
I've explained Kansas politics in various online fora where the provincials from the coasts think that Kansas is a hard-right state.  It is not.  It is a center-right state.  We functionally have three political parties:  the Conservative Republicans, the Moderate Republicans and the Democrats.  The first two just settle which will put up a candidate against the third in the GOP primary.  The state has had a horror of the hard Left since the Populist Party briefly controlled the legislature in the 1890s and instituted courses in political economy at the Kansas State College of Agriculture and the Mechanical Arts (now Kansas State University) that my colleagues who grew up behind the Iron Curtain would have recognized.  Since then, Kansans have kept the legislature firmly in Republican hands (the balance between conservatives and moderates shifting one way or the other over the years), but have, whenever the GOP went off the deep end to the right, given the governorship to a Democrat.  The latest example being Laura Kelly, who beat the Trumpier-than-Trump Kris Kobach to win her first term.

Oddly, I know Gov. Kelly, the only Kansas elected official I've actually known in my 33 years living here.  Our daughters used to both dance for the Metropolitan Ballet of Topeka, an amateur company attached to the one serious ballet school in the state, one good enough that some of its graduates went on to dance for companies on the coasts.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 02:39:48 am »
More stupid "anti-rich  orange man" nonsense.

Trump did NOT create the conditions that exist today that made him "the last man standing to defend America".

THAT was the 'murikan left and the clueless cretins whose kneejerk reactions is to always run around in circles screaming about how "The sky is falling!"

You know,people like you.

It might be less embarrassing for you to refer to other statements as stupid and then make truly stupid statements of your own.

Please show me where I said the sky is falling.

And MAGA does not have to refer to Donald Trump. 

It's a rallying cry manufactured by the hard right GOP that has suckered a great many people into it. 

Donald Trump is NOT hard right.  Never has been. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 03:37:50 am »

Like being unwilling to vote for DeSantis if he had won the nomination because he supposedly "betrayed" Trump, and was therefore morally unfit?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:48:30 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 03:54:40 am »
Like being unwilling to vote for DeSantis if he had won the nomination because he supposedly "betrayed" Trump, and was therefore morally unfit?

Or Cruz because Pete secretly knew he was gay because he shared an apartment at one time with another fellow. I guess I would be homo if that is the criteria used to judge. College saw a lot of us guys share living quarters.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:55:44 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 03:57:45 am »

@Maj. Bill Martin

Maybe you support lying,backstabbing, opportunistic little bitches,but I don't.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 12:42:29 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

And you just made @Maj. Bill Martin point…. :silly:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 05:07:25 pm »
I don't get why.

Articles without a link are assumed to be Original Content, so they go into either General or Exclusive Content. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 06:24:14 pm »
And MAGA does not have to refer to Donald Trump. 

It's a rallying cry manufactured by the hard right GOP that has suckered a great many people into it. 

Donald Trump is NOT hard right.  Never has been.

My exact quote @HikerGuy83 is:

"Make America Great Again" is clarion call to action for a nation in danger.  Reagan used this call successfully in 1980 to galvanize the electorate primarily on the economy and defeating communism.

Trump has issued the same clarion call, expanding the danger we are facing to include not only the impacts of an unbalanced global economy, but also our sovereignty and illegal immigration, the erasure of our individual feedoms by an overbearing Federal government and encroaching globalism, societal lawlessness growing exponentially, and the deletion of the American legacy and inheritance from government, education and the courts.

cc:
@HikerGuy83

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 06:29:46 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 05:03:14 am »
My exact quote @HikerGuy83 is:

You'll notice that I wasn't quoting you when I posted my response.

So, I don't get your point.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 05:06:36 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Well, that isn't what this thread is about, now is it ?

I am pointing out that Kansas (supposedly deep red.....and they have only elected republican senators for quite some time)....seems to elect RINOS or democrats for governor. 

Why ?

Because the hard right, using language just like yours, can't help itself.  By hard right, I don't mean far right.  I mean something else. 

An approach that somehow LOSES.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2024, 05:13:51 am »
I've explained Kansas politics in various online fora where the provincials from the coasts think that Kansas is a hard-right state.  It is not.  It is a center-right state.  We functionally have three political parties:  the Conservative Republicans, the Moderate Republicans and the Democrats.  The first two just settle which will put up a candidate against the third in the GOP primary.  The state has had a horror of the hard Left since the Populist Party briefly controlled the legislature in the 1890s and instituted courses in political economy at the Kansas State College of Agriculture and the Mechanical Arts (now Kansas State University) that my colleagues who grew up behind the Iron Curtain would have recognized.  Since then, Kansans have kept the legislature firmly in Republican hands (the balance between conservatives and moderates shifting one way or the other over the years), but have, whenever the GOP went off the deep end to the right, given the governorship to a Democrat.  The latest example being Laura Kelly, who beat the Trumpier-than-Trump Kris Kobach to win her first term.

Oddly, I know Gov. Kelly, the only Kansas elected official I've actually known in my 33 years living here.  Our daughters used to both dance for the Metropolitan Ballet of Topeka, an amateur company attached to the one serious ballet school in the state, one good enough that some of its graduates went on to dance for companies on the coasts.

Kansas just gets stupid. 

If far right politicians acted with some grace they'd win a lot more of the center.  As it is (as it seems to be in AZ) it does not take much for the democrats to coax them over to their side (and Kari Lake is getting more scary with time).

When Sam Brownback announced he was leaving, Jerry Moran was a natural.  In many ways, so was Todd Tiahart.  Both were serving in the house. 

Tiahart proceeds to unleash a dumptruck of crap towards Moran (I'd never seen anything like it).  A friend, who is pretty apolitical, asked "Who is this bleep Todd Tiahart running these super ugly adds ?".  Moran beat Taihart in the primary by about 5% points. 

It was a classic example of what I call the entitled right...somehow Tiahart thought that seat was his and he was going to do whatever he needed to (absent any common sense or decency) to get it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2024, 12:35:04 pm »
Kansas just gets stupid. 

If far right politicians acted with some grace they'd win a lot more of the center.  As it is (as it seems to be in AZ) it does not take much for the democrats to coax them over to their side (and Kari Lake is getting more scary with time).

When Sam Brownback announced he was leaving, Jerry Moran was a natural.  In many ways, so was Todd Tiahart.  Both were serving in the house. 

Tiahart proceeds to unleash a dumptruck of crap towards Moran (I'd never seen anything like it).  A friend, who is pretty apolitical, asked "Who is this bleep Todd Tiahart running these super ugly adds ?".  Moran beat Taihart in the primary by about 5% points. 

It was a classic example of what I call the entitled right...somehow Tiahart thought that seat was his and he was going to do whatever he needed to (absent any common sense or decency) to get it.

@HikerGuy83

Oh,BullBush!

What is considered to be a Republican in places like NY and Kansas would be considered to be a Dim/RINO in an actual conservative state.

Not that an actual conservative will EVER get the backing on alleged Republicans in that state,who most ran as Republicans because there were no openings for the Dim slots.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2024, 05:10:56 pm »
@HikerGuy83

Oh,BullBush!

What is considered to be a Republican in places like NY and Kansas would be considered to be a Dim/RINO in an actual conservative state.

Not that an actual conservative will EVER get the backing on alleged Republicans in that state,who most ran as Republicans because there were no openings for the Dim slots.

Would you please confine yourself to the things that are stated instead of offering up vaporous farts as post.

Are you arguing that Todd Tiahart (a so-called conservative) didn't go after Jerry Moran (a so-called conservative) ? 

Please let me know what you object to.

Brownback (a so-called conservative) was elected to the senate and then as governor.  "Alleged" Republicans obviously supported him.

As to the term "Alleged Republicans", just who are you to cast judgement on anyone else ?  What makes you so special ?

In Kansas, there are many "moderates" who tend to be more fiscally responsible but who don't want the kind of social restrictions that some would put in place.  When a candidate loses that group....they pretty much lose.

Chris Kobach is a pretty smart guy.  He just seems to pick the wrong battles to fight and he's lost just about every race he's been in because of it.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 05:14:21 pm »
This thread is about Kansas, supposedly a "red" state that somehow manages to elect morons like Kathleen Sebelius to the statehouse.

Joan Quincey was even worse. 

How does that happen ?

The hard right refuses to listen.  They think they own the show.  And consequently, the state has democratic governors a great deal of the time.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2024, 06:47:52 pm »
This thread is about Kansas, supposedly a "red" state that somehow manages to elect morons like Kathleen Sebelius to the statehouse.

Joan Quincey was even worse. 

How does that happen ?

The hard right refuses to listen.  They think they own the show.  And consequently, the state has democratic governors a great deal of the time.

Well, I appreciate this thread.  Before, I knew nothing about the lay of the land in Kansas.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 06:53:43 pm »
Well, I appreciate this thread.  Before, I knew nothing about the lay of the land in Kansas.

Same here

I admit that I assumed that Kansas was a true Red State. Learned something new
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:19:49 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 11:20:20 pm »
Same here

I had originally intended to post this in the Arizona Forum, but I apparently lost track of where I was. 

The reasons being that we have Katie Hobbs, a true idiot and a democrat in the statehouse.  One of the things that has been stated by Turning Point is that something like 350,000 GOPers who requested ballots didn't return them. 

In Kansas, the middle would be frank about how they were turned off by the name calling and head butting in politics.....and they withdrew. 

They might still vote, but if they did it was often against the loud mouthed obnoxious name calling fool (sound like someone you might have heard of ?) just like my friend did who knew nothing about Moran but was going to sure helk make it harder for Tiahart.

Arizona is no different. 

I thought Kari Lake ran a great general election.  However, there were things she stayed with that hurt her.  I don't care how important she thinks they were, SHE LOST AND WE HAVE HOBBS.  There is no argument there.

Arizona could learn a thing or two from the screw ups of Kansas.

And to sure....Kansas is very red.  But many in the middle don't stick to a party line.  I know people who voted for Sebelius who also voted for a very conservative state senator.  They look at candidates.

So if someone thinks wearing a MAGA sweatshirt gets you points there....forget it.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 11:23:09 pm »
Same here

Larry Hogan, republican (albeit, not a far right one) was the governor of Maryland....decidedly blue.

Chris Christie, a republican was the governor of New Jersey.....decidedly blue.

New Mexico elected Susana Martinez, a republican and then re-elected her.  New Mexico is so freaking blue, it hurts.

It happens.  People need to stop and wonder why.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:25:41 pm by HikerGuy83 »