Author Topic: Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy  (Read 631 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
« on: March 30, 2024, 03:50:36 pm »
Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
By Ron Scott
November 04, 2023
U.S. Air Force photo by Trevor Cokley

Following a Stand Together Against Racism and Radicalism in the Services, Inc. (STARRS) Town Hall meeting, a former Permanent Professor and Department Chair reached out to STARRS with concerns.   Six full Permanent Professors retired from the U.S. Air Force Academy within a year for the following main reasons: a dean of faculty with virtually no operational experience who was uncommitted to academic excellence and contemptuous of the Honor Code; a purposeful intent to establish low rigor majors to mirror the academic ability of intercollegiate athletes; the use of intimidation to silence full professors; a deliberate policy to accentuate the influence of civilian faculty to the detriment of military instructors; and an overall decline of academic quality available to cadets.

Two of the six Permanent Professors explain why they retired in the following statement submitted to STARRS. The remaining 4 generally support this summation. :

“The departure of 6 Permanent Professors (PPs) from the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) between the fall of 2017 and the fall of 2018 was not due to any single incident or event but was certainly a final choice that many of us were brought to by years of poor leadership, outright rejection of institutional values, continual eroding of standards both in cadet classrooms and leadership environments, and unethical, vindictive actions engaged in by those placed in authority. 

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/11/04/culture_change_at_the_united_states_air_force_academy_990551.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Culture Change at the United States Air Force Academy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:21:25 pm »
This predates Biden....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:26:40 pm »
The decline of the academies predates Biden and his immediate predecessor. I remember visiting USMA some 20 years ago and having lunch with an acquaintance who worked there. That person said the quality of the cadets was woefully low: they were mentally soft and physically out of shape and - having been indoctrinated (K-12) into leftist beliefs - not capable of critical thinking.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 05:44:31 pm »
The decline of the academies predates Biden and his immediate predecessor. I remember visiting USMA some 20 years ago and having lunch with an acquaintance who worked there. That person said the quality of the cadets was woefully low: they were mentally soft and physically out of shape and - having been indoctrinated (K-12) into leftist beliefs - not capable of critical thinking.

Agree.  But the gradual lowering of standards - which is directly related to "diversity" goals (before they were even called that....), has accelerated rapidly over the last decade and a half.

And I say that as a USNA grad who has lots of contacts among fellow alumni with family who have attended much more recently.  I have direct, personal knowledge of the disparate application of rules/standards in favor of women in minorities.   It's inarguable.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 05:45:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 07:57:57 pm »
Can you say "Affirmative Action promotions and assignments"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!