Author Topic: COMMENTARY: On Defense Electronics, U.S. Just Past Square One  (Read 135 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
COMMENTARY: On Defense Electronics, U.S. Just Past Square One
3/28/2024
By Chris Mitchell   

The good news is that U.S. government leaders are taking the important first steps in rebuilding America’s electronics industrial base.

The tougher news to swallow is that the United States — having laced up its shoes and selected a new route — continues to waver on whether it’s committed to the long journey ahead. The commitment of $52 billion to the semiconductor industry without any meaningful plan to build up the broader electronics industry exemplifies the schizophrenic approach to promoting innovation and manufacturing.

Without greater resolution across government to strengthen the domestic electronics manufacturing base, the nation is likely to find itself building the most cutting-edge chips but not the most cutting-edge systems. Having the capability to build these systems is central to long-term innovation, economic competitiveness and national security. This fact is well-understood by countries racing ahead even as the United States continues tying its laces.

The U.S. electronics manufacturing industry is no longer the leader it once was. Global competitors have outpaced the United States in expanding their capacities and capabilities. The erosion in the U.S. industry has transpired over two-plus decades and in full view of policymakers who have been flatfooted in their response.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/3/28/commentary-on-defense-electronics-us-just-past-square-one
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson