Author Topic: What happens when deepfakes strike on Election Day? Story by Dan De Luce and Kevin Collier • 2w • 7  (Read 190 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What happens when deepfakes strike on Election Day?
Story by Dan De Luce and Kevin Collier • 2w • 

It’s Election Day in Arizona and elderly voters in Maricopa County are told by phone that local polling places are closed due to threats from militia groups.

Meanwhile, in Miami, a flurry of photos and videos on social media show poll workers dumping ballots.

The phone calls in Arizona and the videos in Florida turn out to be “deepfakes” created with artificial intelligence tools. But by the time local and federal authorities figure out what they are dealing with, the false information has gone viral across the country.

This simulated scenario was part of a recent exercise in New York that gathered dozens of former senior U.S. and state officials, civil society leaders and executives from technology companies to rehearse for the 2024 election.
The results were sobering.

“It was jarring for folks in the room to see how quickly just a handful of these types of threats could spiral out of control and really dominate the election cycle,” said Miles Taylor, a former senior Department of Homeland Security official who helped organize the exercise for the Washington-based nonprofit The Future US.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-happens-when-deepfakes-strike-on-election-day/ar-BB1jZMPh
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 02:38:10 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson