Author Topic: POLL: Fewer Americans agree immigrants contribute to economy  (Read 146 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
POLL: Fewer Americans agree immigrants contribute to economy
« on: March 30, 2024, 02:09:28 pm »
POLL: Fewer Americans agree immigrants contribute to economy
by: REBECCA SANTANA and AMELIA THOMSON-DEVEAUX, Associated Press

Posted: Mar 29, 2024 / 12:32 AM CDT

Updated: Mar 29, 2024 / 12:32 AM CDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans are more worried about legal immigrants committing crimes in the U.S. than they were a few years ago, a change driven largely by increased concern among Republicans, while Democrats continue to see a broad range of benefits from immigration, a new poll shows.

The poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that substantial shares of U.S. adults believe that immigrants contribute to the country’s economic growth, and offer important contributions to American culture. But when it comes to legal immigrants, U.S. adults see fewer major benefits than they did in the past, and more major risks.

About 4 in 10 Americans say that when immigrants come to the U.S. legally, it’s a major benefit for American companies to get the expertise of skilled workers in fields like science and technology. A similar share (38%) also say that legal immigrants contribute a major benefit by enriching American culture and values.

https://www.borderreport.com/news/politics/poll-fewer-americans-agree-immigrants-contribute-to-economy/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson