Author Topic: Troops Still Aren't Getting Enough Sleep, and the Defense Department Isn't Taking Responsibility, Wa  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Troops Still Aren't Getting Enough Sleep, and the Defense Department Isn't Taking Responsibility, Watchdog Says

Military.com | By Kelsey Baker
Published March 28, 2024 at 5:24pm ET

Service members still aren't getting enough sleep, in large part because there's no coherent Pentagon effort to remedy the problem, according to a new report by the Government Accountability Office released this week.

The GAO found that fatigue among service members "appeared to be more the rule than the exception," with active-duty troops sleeping less than seven hours nightly twice as often as civilians. That lack of sleep has contributed to safety mishaps, near-misses and numerous deaths.

"There's recognition of this [problem] within the military," GAO report author and military readiness expert Diana Maurer told Military.com in a phone interview. "The problem is no one owns it."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/28/troops-still-arent-getting-enough-sleep-and-defense-department-isnt-taking-responsibility-watchdog.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If they needed more sleep, they would be issued more sleep. wink777  Seriously, this may have to do with poor recruitment and retention as much as anything.  Someone has to cover those watches no matter how many people they are short.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson