Author Topic: The future is ‘not bright’ for towed artillery, Army general says  (Read 339 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The future is ‘not bright’ for towed artillery, Army general says
Light infantry units also need more indirect fire systems, Gen. Rainey said.
SAM SKOVE | MARCH 27, 2024

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama—The Army’s towed howitzers, many of which have been sent to Ukraine, are becoming increasingly obsolete, U.S. Army Futures Command head Gen. James Rainey said Wednesday.

“I personally believe that we have witnessed the end of the effectiveness of towed artillery,” Rainey said here at the AUSA Global Force conference. “The future is not bright for towed artillery.”

The Army operates towed artillery, which is carted to firing positions by Army vehicles, and self-propelled artillery, which can maneuver to positions on its own.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/03/future-not-bright-towed-artillery-army-general-says/395289/?oref=d1-skybox-hp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The future is ‘not bright’ for towed artillery, Army general says
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:39:49 pm »
As near as I can tell, it isn't looking good for towed artillery, helicopters, tanks, Army aircraft, and, who knows, wokeness awareness month.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 06:28:09 pm »
Future artillery systems must “continuously move,” with “no displacement” time, Rainey said, referring to the time it takes a gun-crew to move a cannon from its firing position.

"Shoot and scoot". Scooting is not magically 100% safe, but staying put in a known position is less safe than the scooting.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 06:55:02 pm »
"Shoot and scoot". Scooting is not magically 100% safe, but staying put in a known position is less safe than the scooting.

You better be gone before your shells strike their targets.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 07:02:17 pm »
You better be gone before your shells strike their targets.
Yep. Counterbattery radars and targeting will get you if you don't move, and fast.

Same for a sniper, reposition after 1-2 shots, and if a second, it better be a quick follow up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis