Author Topic: JUST IN: Deterring China Requires Better Understanding of Adversaries  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

JUST IN: Deterring China Requires Better Understanding of Adversaries
3/28/2024
By Sean Carberry   

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The United States is expending military resources around the world — either directly in cases like protecting sea lanes from Houthi attacks, or indirectly by providing weapons, ammunition and supplies to Ukraine, Israel and other partners and allies. That’s putting a strain on readiness, modernization and deterrence, said the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

While deterring China from invading Taiwan requires the U.S. military to continue modernization efforts and maintain readiness, deterrence is more than just military actions and solutions, Air Force Gen. Charles Brown said at Defense Writers Group discussion March 28.

“You’ve got to think about deterrence as a cognitive aspect,” he said. “You're trying to convince somebody, and if you don't understand how they think and operate, it's hard to deter them.”

The health of U.S. deterrence today is “pretty good, but I do believe it's something we got to continue to improve upon,” he said, adding that the depth of knowledge and focus on deterrence theory today might not be at the level it was during the Cold War.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/3/28/deterring-china-requires-better-understanding-of-adversaries
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: JUST IN: Deterring China Requires Better Understanding of Adversaries
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:27:59 pm »

Deterring China Requires Better Understanding of Adversaries

This is the whole problem.  To the Pentagon, Biden Administration, democrats and rinos in congress, and MSM, China isn't an enemy.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 04:33:12 pm »
Good commie=dead commie.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 04:43:32 pm »
China will never be 'deterred' as long as they have the President of the United States and at least half of Congress as employees of Xi.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.