Author Topic: America's Nuclear Arsenal Could Be Approaching Its Weakest Point  (Read 249 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
America's Nuclear Arsenal Could Be Approaching Its Weakest Point
Published Mar 29, 2024 at 3:00 AM EDT
Updated Mar 29, 2024 at 9:36 AM EDT

Advertisement 0:03

By Ellie Cook
Security & Defense Reporter

The backbone of the U.S.'s national security—that is how Washington has long seen its nuclear deterrent. Since the advent of the atomic age, maintaining a powerful, credible nuclear arsenal that is ready to go on a moment's notice has been at the very top of the priority list in D.C.'s corridors of power.

But the U.S.'s nukes are old. Faced with the rapid development taking place in China and a more aggressive, unpredictable Russia, there are deep concerns over whether the U.S. has been funneling enough resources into modernizing its capabilities on time as an unpredictable future lurks around the corner.

"The next five years—maybe less than that—will be really determinative," said Heather Williams, who heads up the Project on Nuclear Issues and is a senior fellow with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-nuclear-arsenal-weakest-point-sentinel-minuteman-columbia-class-ohio-1883734

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: America's Nuclear Arsenal Could Be Approaching Its Weakest Point
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 04:12:46 pm »
Thoroughly Woke Milley and Biden really made the job easier to Gen. Davis by so downgrading the military.  He can almost not do anything and achieve the liberal goal of America's destruction. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 04:20:51 pm »
Obama signed a treaty allowing Russia to expand its nuclear arsenal at the same time the US was forced to reduce theirs.  And Senate Republicans voted for it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 05:11:19 pm »
Obama signed a treaty allowing Russia to expand its nuclear arsenal at the same time the US was forced to reduce theirs.  And Senate Republicans voted for it.
I honestly question how much elected folks in the Congress read what they vote on (in some cases, how could they?), but instead rely on summaries by staffers. Staffers can be swamp critters, there to keep a relatively prestigious job in D.C., and that could be a critical weakness in the whole process. All they would have to do is 'miss' a few critical lines and oopsie!! they gave away the farm and didn't tell anyone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis