Author Topic: Army artillery needs more range, mobility and autonomy, study finds  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army artillery needs more range, mobility and autonomy, study finds
By Jen Judson
 Mar 27, 02:34 PM

The Army canceled its Extended Range Cannon Artillery, or ERCA, in favor of munitions with improved range. Its greater artillery strategy will see more mobile and autonomous systems, the Army believes. (Photo by Edward Lopez/U.S. Army)

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The U.S. Army’s recently completed conventional fires study determined the service should focus on more autonomous artillery systems with greater range and improved mobility, the Army Futures Command chief said Wednesday.

Speaking at the Association of the U.S. Army’s Global Symposium here, Gen. James Rainey said the Army will achieve these improvements by incorporating robotics into systems, improving artillery rounds and pursuing readily available mobile howitzer options.

The service began working last year on a conventional fires study intended to lead to a new strategy. Rainey said at the time the review would consider the existing capability and capacity and future Army needs. It was also going to assess new technology to enhance conventional fires on the battlefield, such as advances in propellant that make it possible for midrange cannons to shoot as far as longer-range systems.

The study has already influenced one program. The Army, after also conducting a prototyping effort for an Extended Range Cannon Artillery system, concluded the platform was not the right approach.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/global-force-symposium/2024/03/27/army-artillery-needs-more-range-mobility-and-autonomy-study-finds/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson