Author Topic: Armor: New American M10 Tank  (Read 596 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Armor: New American M10 Tank
« on: March 28, 2024, 12:48:15 pm »

Armor: New American M10 Tank

March 28, 2024: The U.S. Army is receiving 504 M10 light tanks to provide front line firepower for infantry units. The M10 Booker tank is a 38-ton armored vehicle that looks like a tank but is designated an assault gun. It has a low recoil 105mm gun with fifty 105mm shells on board. Next (coaxial) to the 105mm gun is a 7.62mm machine-gun that can be fired instead of the main gun. On top of the turret is a 12.7mm heavy machine-gun. The aimed range of the 105mm gun is four kilometers.

The crew consists of a driver, gunner, loader, and tank commander. Top speed is 65 kilometers an hour and max range using onboard fuel is 305 kilometers. M10s will be assigned to infantry companies in groups of four or more M10s. There is also an ammunition supply vehicle available. As an infantry support vehicle, the M10 will use a lot of ammunition supporting infantry attacks. The fire control system enables the M10 to deliver very accurate fire on targets designated by the infantry being supported.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20240328.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Armor: New American M10 Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 12:50:43 pm »
Didn't Sherman tanks (light) get mauled by larger German Tigers in WWII?  What was learned from that, besides nothing? :shrug:

The Sherman was a medium tank, actually, but where it lost to the Tiger was that the Tiger had an 88mm main gun. The same gun that could shoot down B-17s at 20,000 ft. proved to be an excellent field gun, and a terrifying main gun on a tank. The Tigers had a lot of problems with maintenance, required different tracks to be loaded onto rail cars from the ones used in the field, and other issues as well. The Shermans, however, were present in sufficient numbers to get around the Tigers and hit them in their rear or side armor, which was thinner than the frontal armor. (sometimes, quantity has a quality all its own, but that cost tank crews, and tanks which brewed up were often considered unrepairable. ). Others, remains were recovered, the tanks were cleaned out, the 'plug' that had been knocked out of the armor replaced with armor welded in, repainted and reissued. Had the Germans been able to field and fuel Tigers in the same numbers as the lighter tanks, that might have been a game changer.

I read a book years ago about an Army tank recovery unit that 'refurbished' knocked out tanks and returned them to battle, but cannot recall the title. It was an eye opener to realize that the tanks which had been knocked out and were returned to service were a key part of the armored efforts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:10:18 pm by Smokin Joe »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 06:51:44 pm »
Didn't Sherman tanks (light) get mauled by larger German Tigers in WWII?  What was learned from that, besides nothing? :shrug:

Presimably, the light tanks would have access to support from heavy Abrams if tank-tank duels were anticipated.  The light tanks are much easier to transport and might be better/cheaper when not facing heavy armor.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 09:11:12 pm »
Presimably, the light tanks would have access to support from heavy Abrams if tank-tank duels were anticipated.  The light tanks are much easier to transport and might be better/cheaper when not facing heavy armor.
There is a Temporal disconnect in your answer. There were no Abrams Tanks in WWII.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis