Author Topic: Matt McGrath of the BBC Goes Climate Banana Crazy  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Matt McGrath of the BBC Goes Climate Banana Crazy
« on: March 28, 2024, 09:49:04 am »
Matt McGrath of the BBC Goes Climate Banana Crazy

By
Guest Contributor
March 26, 2024

Editor’s Note: This guest post from The Daily Sceptic’s Chris Morrison, debunks a story carried by the BBC that banana production is being diminished, leading to shortages and higher prices, due to climate change. Climate Realism has repeatedly refuted claims that climate change is harming crop production. Although bananas have only been addressed in a couple of posts, here and here, those posts show that what is true for the vast majority of crops it true for bananas as well. Banana production is improving and setting records even as the Earth is slightly warming. Indeed, Morrison’s analysis is firmly grounded in data from U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, which shows banana production and yields are increasing and regularly setting records. As a result, any increase in prices or shortages must be due to other factors, like increased demand and supply chain issues.

From the DAILY SCEPTIC

by Chris Morrison

Banana prices to go up as temperatures rise, reports Matt McGrath of the BBC. What a magnificent story – adding to the fake climate emergency narrative and helping out Big Banana all in one go. Alas, the uncharitable might note that the story is slightly spoilt by banana output having doubled over the last 20 years, helped, almost certainly, by a little extra warmth and atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Bananas are set to get more expensive as climate change hits a much loved fruit, says Pascal Liu of the World Banana Forum, a UN umbrella group promoting the banana business. ‘Experts’ are reported to be concerned about the growing threats from a warming world and from the diseases that are spreading in its wake. McGrath helpfully adds that last week saw shortages in several U.K. supermarkets due to “storms at sea”. There are reported to be concerns about a relatively new strain of Fusarium Wilt, a plant disease that has been widespread in commercial banana plantations for over 100 years.

https://climaterealism.com/2024/03/matt-mcgrath-of-the-bbc-goes-climate-banana-crazy/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson