Author Topic: Air Force Ospreys in Japan Remain Grounded After Deadly Crash, Even as Marines Return to the Air  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force Ospreys in Japan Remain Grounded After Deadly Crash, Even as Marines Return to the Air

Military.com | By Konstantin Toropin and Thomas Novelly
Published March 26, 2024 at 6:21pm ET

The Air Force is still not flying Osprey aircraft in Japan despite getting the green light to lift a monthslong flight hold following a deadly crash off the country's southern coast, but the Marine Corps has put its aircraft based there back in the skies.

Rebecca Heyse, an Air Force Special Operations Command spokeswoman, told Military.com on Tuesday that none of the service's units have resumed flying the Osprey yet.

In contrast, the Marine Corps' 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, which is based in Okinawa, quickly moved to fly its MV-22s, announcing a return to flight status on March 14 -- less than a week after the hold was lifted, according to a statement released the same day.

The aircraft -- which is flown by the Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force -- was allowed to return to flight in early March after Naval Air Systems Command and the V-22 Joint Program Office announced that they had discovered a new and not fully understood mechanical failure as part of the investigation into the Nov. 29 Air Force Osprey crash off the coast of Yakushima Island that left eight airmen dead.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/26/after-deadly-crash-some-ospreys-are-flying-again-japan.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson