Author Topic: Fight over VA toxic exposure funds could stall other vets legislation  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fight over VA toxic exposure funds could stall other vets legislation
By Leo Shane III
 Mar 25, 04:09 PM

Lawmakers finalized the government’s current fiscal year budget over the weekend, but not before they started worrying about the impact of veterans spending on next year’s funding package.

Ahead of the last-minute work on their final fiscal 2024 appropriations package, Republicans and Democrats sparred last week over potential future changes to how the Department of Veterans Affairs’ budget is handled, and whether inaction could tank any planned reforms for its operations.

At issue is the department’s Toxic Exposures Fund, created as part of the 2022 PACT Act to help cover the costs of the sweeping expansion of medical care and disability benefits in the legislation.

The administration has asked for $24.5 billion in TEF money for fiscal 2025, up from $20.2 billion this year. It represents more than 10% of all department mandatory spending, and is projected to continue at that size for years to come.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2024/03/25/fight-over-va-toxic-exposure-funds-could-stall-other-vets-legislation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Fight over VA toxic exposure funds could stall other vets legislation
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 01:24:52 pm »
Congress doesn't have time to screw with money for vets poisoned while on duty with so many illegal newcomer mouths to feed. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson