Author Topic: Gas-powered vehicle phaseout begins as several states look to join California in adopting Biden’s EV  (Read 1171 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gas-powered vehicle phaseout begins as several states look to join California in adopting Biden’s EV mandate
By
Peyton Sorosinski
March 26, 2024 2:31 pm

President Joe Biden’s electric vehicle mandate has raised skepticism and backlash from the automotive industry and consumers; still, a handful of states are looking to join California in banning gas-powered vehicles.

Last year, the Environmental Protection Agency announced that by 2032, 70% of new cars and trucks sold cannot have tailpipe emissions. California was the first to adopt the new initiative, and now other states are deciding if they want to follow the Golden State’s lead.

So far, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, and Rhode Island are among the states that plan to ban the sale of gas-powered vehicles by 2035, according to Money, a personal finance website. The District of Columbia has also made the commitment to adopt the ban.

States like Delaware and Colorado are also taking steps to follow California’s standard. While the two states passed the EV mandate last year, which proposed that by 2032 EVs must make up 82% of car sales, they have not fully adopted the goal of banning 100% of gas-powered vehicles by 2035.

In California, EVs accounted for 21.3% of cars being sold within the first nine months of 2023 which was twice as much from the year prior, data produced at the end of last year showed. In San Jose, 40% of car registrations are for EVs — that’s more than any other city in the country, according to S&P Global Mobility data shared with the New York Times.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-and-environment/2939368/several-states-look-to-join-california-adopting-ev-mandate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And the country continues to split along political lines.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Urban hellholes opt for having their batteries die...

Of all the State Governments to emulate, I'd think Puerto Rico's would be preferable to California's, and Puerto Rico isn't even a State.

Stupidity on parade...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
People are not going to give up their cars.  So the gas powered ones are just going to hand around more.

Screw EV's.

Offline Smokin Joe

People are not going to give up their cars.  So the gas powered ones are just going to hand around more.

Screw EV's.

I'm fixing the herd.
I know they'll pay.
They'll all be classics by the phase out day.
But if you want the 'vroom'
You'll pay top dollar soon,
New York, New Yo-ork!

Makes me wonder just how high the markup will be for a bootleg (only driven on Sundays) gas guzzler? :silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

So far, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, and Rhode Island are among the states that plan to ban the sale of gas-powered vehicles by 2035, according to Money, a personal finance website. The District of Columbia has also made the commitment to adopt the ban.

States like Delaware and Colorado are also taking steps to follow California’s standard.

I strongly encourage each of the States above to do so as soon as possible.  The sooner, the better.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

Whacko-liberal states of course.

Which only means a state or two away if you want to buy a gas or diesel rig...
And what's to stop the citizens of these states from buying over there?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Whacko-liberal states of course.

Which only means a state or two away if you want to buy a gas or diesel rig...
Well I can see California doing inspections of cars returning from other states, and you can bet that the Gaia Nazis will be reporting anyone filling up Five gals or bigger with Cali plates to the CHP just like the anti gunners do with ammunition.

Online roamer_1

Well I can see California doing inspections of cars returning from other states, and you can bet that the Gaia Nazis will be reporting anyone filling up Five gals or bigger with Cali plates to the CHP just like the anti gunners do with ammunition.

There still has to be an attrition allowance.
They will stop SELLING there.
But I doubt very much they will stop licensing, nor supply.
They make too much money on that.

So you'll have to wander over to Arizona to buy a new car. While you're over there, maybe look for property.  :laugh:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Does a ban 10 years out really mean anything? Why not make it 100 years?

I will tell my doctor I will stop eating unhealthy by 2030. Pretty toothless if you ask me.

This is all for show IMO.

Offline Hoodat

This is how the Soviets did it.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
There still has to be an attrition allowance.
They will stop SELLING there.
But I doubt very much they will stop licensing, nor supply.
They make too much money on that.

So you'll have to wander over to Arizona to buy a new car. While you're over there, maybe look for property.  :laugh:
They'll just shift from a gas tax to an insanely high mileage tax, which so far as I know EV owners have been getting to use the roads without having to pay their share of maintenance and repair. It won't be long, especially in California, after these jackwads really start booting ICE cars off the road that the revolution will begin. All EV is just not economically or infrastructure wise feasable...even in Californication the minority of Gaia worshipers can push the people only so far.

Online roamer_1

They'll just shift from a gas tax to an insanely high mileage tax, which so far as I know EV owners have been getting to use the roads without having to pay their share of maintenance and repair. It won't be long, especially in California, after these jackwads really start booting ICE cars off the road that the revolution will begin. All EV is just not economically or infrastructure wise feasable...even in Californication the minority of Gaia worshipers can push the people only so far.

I'd sure hope so... I remember a Conservative California, whose name was not spit at when mentioned. Many Conservative greats came out of San Diego. She has a solid Conservative history (except Hollywood and San Fran Sicko) That she would do well to remember.

Y'all need revival.  happy77 :0001:

Offline Smokin Joe

I'd sure hope so... I remember a Conservative California, whose name was not spit at when mentioned. Many Conservative greats came out of San Diego. She has a solid Conservative history (except Hollywood and San Fran Sicko) That she would do well to remember.

Y'all need revival.  happy77 :0001:
California started this crap in the 70s, with California Emissions Standards which were more stringent than the rest of the country. California, (parts thereof, anyway, the rest got stuck by the big cities with high population density and some form of mass transit) had a serious smog problem, and from a States' Rights viewpoint, yes, they have that right in their State (as do all the other states doing this).

What I fear, however, and as seemingly so often happens, is that a few States with Big Cities and large populations will want to impose their rules on the rest of us, who live in places that have never had a smog problem and don't have the population density for it to really matter if the flivver poots out a blue cloud when it chugs along.

One size does not fit all, and sometimes, not even most.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

California started this crap in the 70s, with California Emissions Standards which were more stringent than the rest of the country. California, (parts thereof, anyway, the rest got stuck by the big cities with high population density and some form of mass transit) had a serious smog problem, and from a States' Rights viewpoint, yes, they have that right in their State (as do all the other states doing this).

What I fear, however, and as seemingly so often happens, is that a few States with Big Cities and large populations will want to impose their rules on the rest of us, who live in places that have never had a smog problem and don't have the population density for it to really matter if the flivver poots out a blue cloud when it chugs along.

One size does not fit all, and sometimes, not even most.

That's right - I can sure understand the concept of not poopin where you eat... I get that they have to do something about smog. But that's their problem, not ours. And rammin that crap through at the national level just naturally ain't gonna fly.

I have far more poor air quality from forest fires than any other thing. Maybe they ought to go after that. One decent sized fire puts out way more into the region than all the works of Man within it, I bet, and we lose half a million acres a year, just in Montana.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
GT wrote:
"Well I can see California doing inspections of cars returning from other states"

I don't think one can currently buy a new car in a state outside California, and then immediately bring it INTO California and register it. The car has to have a certain number of miles already on it -- i.e., be "used".

I can see the other anti-petro New Slavery states adopting such registration policies, as well.

Eventually, the anti-petro states may ban registration of gas-powered cars from other states whether new OR used...

Offline Hoodat

I can see the other anti-petro New Slavery states adopting such registration policies, as well.

Eventually, the anti-petro states may ban registration of gas-powered cars from other states whether new OR used...

The sooner the better.  With decreased demand for gasoline, I look forward to prices falling below $2/gal again.  Bring it on.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

The sooner the better.  With decreased demand for gasoline, I look forward to prices falling below $2/gal again.  Bring it on.

That's right... Let them ride Llamas and stink of patchouli.

The rest of us will be drivin lifted diesel trucks and actually doing stuff and going places.

But but but... If you'd just buy electric...

They have no idea with their 1.2 children and city parking space.

Their electric junk ain't going to work for anyone outside of the city.
Try draggin a 4 horse trailer somewhere with that thing.
Try draggin it from here to Wyoming.
In the winter.
with your kids and the old lady along.