Author Topic: 21 States Where Squatters Can Legally Claim Your Property  (Read 741 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
21 States Where Squatters Can Legally Claim Your Property
« on: March 26, 2024, 10:04:23 am »
21 States Where Squatters Can Legally Claim Your Property
©Provided by From Frugal to Free

Discover how squatters’ rights, or adverse possession, are more than just legal jargon—they’re stories of unexpected twists in the world of real estate. From sunny California to the historical landscapes of Pennsylvania, here’s how these laws could turn the tables on homeowners and squatters alike.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/21-states-where-squatters-can-legally-claim-your-property/ss-BB1kujKL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=d0af6bf74ac849259ba1951b1b42d5d0&ei=35#image=1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: 21 States Where Squatters Can Legally Claim Your Property
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 01:34:52 pm »
The shortest I could find was five years, most are ten or more. While I'm not much for squatters rights, it's stupid to leave a property abandoned for that long without doing something to maintain at least an appearance of a claim of ownership.

That said I don't think that's a problem so much. It's the court cost of evicting them once their in, even if it's during a two week vacation. It's not a cheap slam dunk process apparently even in that case.

The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 01:59:05 pm »
The shortest I could find was five years, most are ten or more. While I'm not much for squatters rights, it's stupid to leave a property abandoned for that long without doing something to maintain at least an appearance of a claim of ownership.

That said I don't think that's a problem so much. It's the court cost of evicting them once their in, even if it's during a two week vacation. It's not a cheap slam dunk process apparently even in that case.

I've heard more instances where a squatter will set up a small structure, home, or trailer on a large plot of acreage to pull it off.  We make it a point to check everything at least annually to prevent that. Never had a problem....yet.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 03:19:01 am »
If people i.e. squatters can have legal rights to property they didn't purchase, it will open up a can of worms with people who are necessarily squatters without a home looking for property that has hasn't been attended to for long periods of time.
Your property is your property. Nobody has a right to squat on it no matter how often you visit it or how you keep it.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 03:35:53 am »
Florida just eliminated squatters' rights, and made felonies out of fake leases and damage to property.  I would be surprised if other states are not working on similar legislation, especially in NY where this has become a total embarrassment. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 08:28:58 pm »
Florida just eliminated squatters' rights, and made felonies out of fake leases and damage to property.
DeSantis: “Does your house belong to you? Or can someone just come in, squat for a period of time, and then claim they have a right to be there? In Florida, we are going to take action to end this scam and protect private property rights.”

https://twitter.com/theblaze/status/1773044192643575956
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org