Author Topic: Pentagon Arms F-35 With "Breakthrough" Stormbreaker Attack Bomb  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Pentagon Arms F-35 With "Breakthrough" Stormbreaker Attack Bomb
The Stormbreaker bomb is capable of tracking and destroying moving targets in all kinds of weather conditions from ranges as far as 40-nautical miles.
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONJAN 4, 2024
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The US Air Force is arming its entire fleet of F-35s with the cutting edge Stormbreaker bomb capable of tracking and destroying moving targets in all kinds of weather conditions from ranges as far as 40-nautical miles.

In development for years, the now operational Stormbreaker arms the F-15E and F/A-18 and is currently testing on all three variants of F-35s. Beginning as the Small Diameter Bomb II, the Stormbreaker has been a pioneering and ground-breaking, air-launched weapon engineered with a “tri-mode” seeker enabling it to track targets with infrared, laser and millimeter wave technology. The weapon is also one of the early iterations of how two-way data links can be engineered into an air dropped weapon to better enable in-flight course correction and an ability to hit moving targets.

For these reasons, Stormbreaker is described by Raytheon engineers as a “network-enabled weapon that can engage moving targets in all weather conditions using its multi-effects warhead and tri-mode seeker.” This kind of progress with Stormbreaker is part of why the Air Force just awarded Raytheon with a deal to build as many as 1,500 of the bombs. The arrival of the weapon in greater numbers follows a year of 28 successful test drops in 2023 and the expansion of the Stormbreaker across the Pentagon’s fleet of attack aircraft.

https://warriormaven.com/air/pentagon-arms-f-35-with-breakthrough-stormbreaker-attack-bomb
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pentagon Arms F-35 With "Breakthrough" Stormbreaker Attack Bomb
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 02:03:27 pm »
Great!  The bomb can operate in all kinds of weather, but can the F-35 do the same? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson