Author Topic: U.S. Border Patrol chief calls southern border a "national security threat," citing 140,000 migrants  (Read 176 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

U.S. Border Patrol chief calls southern border a "national security threat," citing 140,000 migrants who evaded capture
face-the-nation
By Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Updated on: March 24, 2024 / 2:54 PM EDT / CBS News

Washington — In an exclusive interview with CBS News, U.S. Border Patrol chief Jason Owens called the situation at the southern border a "national security threat," expressing concern about tens of thousands of migrants who have evaded apprehension and entered the country surreptitiously over the past five months.

Owens said Border Patrol is "closing in" on recording one million apprehensions of migrants in between ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexico border in the 2024 fiscal year, which started in October. For the third consecutive year, his agency is on track to record two million apprehensions by the time the fiscal year ends at the end of September, Owens added.

"That number is a large number, but what's keeping me up at night is the 140,000 known got-aways," Owens said in his first exclusive interview as Border Patrol chief, referring to migrants who are detected by cameras and sensors crossing into the U.S. illegally, but not apprehended.

"Why are they risking their lives and crossing in areas where we can't get to?" Owens asked. "Why are they hiding? What do they have to hide? What are they bringing in? What is their intent? Where are they coming from? We simply don't know the answers to those questions. Those things for us are what represent the threat to our communities."

The situation, Owens added, amounts to "a national security threat."

"Border security is a big piece of national security," he said. "And if we don't know who is coming into our country, and we don't know what their intent is, that is a threat and they're exploiting a vulnerability that's on our border right now."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jason-owens-border-patrol-southern-border-national-security-threat/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson