Author Topic: F-35A’s Beleaguered 25mm Cannon Is Finally “Effective”  (Read 396 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-35A’s Beleaguered 25mm Cannon Is Finally “Effective”
« on: March 24, 2024, 02:31:37 pm »
F-35A’s Beleaguered 25mm Cannon Is Finally “Effective”
Accuracy and other issues have dogged the F-35A’s gun, which also have been major talking points in the debate about retiring the A-10.

BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
|
PUBLISHED MAR 22, 2024 5:17 PM EDT
The F-35 Joint Program Office says the internal gun on the A variant of the Joint Strike Fighter is now effective after years of accuracy and other problems.

The 25mm automatic cannon nestled inside the F-35A variant of the Joint Strike Fighter is now deemed to be an effective weapon. For years, a host of issues had left these stealth fighters unable to shoot straight. Problems with the 25mm cannon have also been a particularly notable talking point in the still-controversial debate over plans to supplant the venerable A-10 Warthog ground attack jet with the F-35A.

Russ Goemaere, a spokesperson for the F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO), provided The War Zone with an update on the F-35A's gun, which is formally designated the GAU-22/A, earlier this week. In the U.S. military, the F-35A is operated exclusively by the U.S. Air Force.

"After working with the Air Force and our industry partners we can report that the gun has been improved and is effective," Goemaere said in a statement. "We continue to work with industry, the Services, and our international partners for further improvements and to maximize effectiveness and lethality at the tactical/operational level."

https://www.twz.com/air/f-35as-beleaguered-25mm-cannon-is-finally-effective
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-35A’s Beleaguered 25mm Cannon Is Finally “Effective”
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:34:03 pm »
VOILA! It's all good, just like that! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: F-35A’s Beleaguered 25mm Cannon Is Finally “Effective”
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 06:21:38 am »
Is it accurate, though?

Because you have a hard time having enough 'helicopter training accidents' to cover for the body count if it isn't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis