Author Topic: Record-breaking American teen Ilia Malinin lands quadruple axel as he wins first ever World Figure S  (Read 279 times)

Offline libertybele

Unbelievable performance!!!   🇺🇸

Record-breaking American teen Ilia Malinin lands quadruple axel as he wins first ever World Figure Skating title

For every other figure-skater, landing a quadruple axel lies outside the realms of possibilities, attempted but never accomplished by an endless parade of skating greats.

For American teenage prodigy Ilia Malinin though, they are simply part of his routine. And landing one on Saturday propelled him to his first ever world title after a record-breaking performance in the free skate at the World Figure Skating Championship.

The 19-year-old – who is nicknamed the ‘quad god’ – was sitting in third place after the short program on Thursday, telling reporters afterwards that he was suffering with physical and mental challenges in the build-up to these world championships.

Then, on Saturday, he was drawn last to compete in the free skate and produced a dazzling performance to score 227.79, the highest ever score in this competition, before collapsing onto the ice with emotion.

“It means so much to me,” Malinin said afterwards, according to the International Skating Union. “The last few weeks were such a mental and physical challenge to go through.

“I was even debating whether I should come here or not. It was the last minute, but I wanted to come here to see what I can put out on the ice. I am so glad to be here on top right now.” ..............

------------ Here is the YouTube video ---------

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE1a9v1DX9I

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/24/sport/ilia-malinin-wins-first-world-title-figure-skating-spt-intl/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Lando Lincoln

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

So young, so talented and obviously just so focused and disciplined on a sport that he loves.

I haven't watched figure skating in awhile or kept up with who is who in the skating world, but this performance was indeed brilliant.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie