Author Topic: Republican congressmen keep resigning — here are their reasons  (Read 527 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republican congressmen keep resigning — here are their reasons
By
Jack Birle
March 23, 2024 1:44 pm

As the 118th Congress continues to be turbulent, especially in the House of Representatives, members are opting not to run for another term, and with the instability, several are resigning from Congress early.

While 21 House Republicans have said they would retire at the end of their term, five House Republicans have either resigned or announced their intention to resign early. This drops the Republican majority in the House to 217-213, meaning the party can only stand to lose one vote along party lines. Here is a look at those five retiring Republicans.

Rep. Chris Stewart (R-UT)

Stewart announced his departure from the House of Representatives in June 2023, that his “wife’s health concerns” made it “necessary” for him to step down in September 2023. He would resign from the chamber effective Sept. 15, 2023.

He had been in the House of Representatives since 2013. Stewart was the first House Republican to resign during this Congress, and his decision came before much of the chaos in the chamber in the latter half of 2023.

Rep. Celeste Maloy (R-UT) would win a special election in November 2023 to replace Stewart for the remainder of the 118th Congress.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2935452/republican-congressmen-keep-resigning-here-are-their-reasons/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Republican congressmen keep resigning — here are their reasons
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 09:44:07 pm »
It's the fact that a number of them aren't even finishing out their term that makes me call BS.
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 10:16:57 pm »
Vulcan fumes:
"It's the fact that a number of them aren't even finishing out their term that makes me call BS."

Gee.
It's almost like they were being PAID to leave early...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 01:47:33 am »
I didn't much see reasons. Which makes me wonder what their real motives are.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 02:13:47 am »
They're tired of dealing with their crazy conspiracy theorist constituents.  That's what my Congress critter recently told me when I asked him about it.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 02:22:46 am »
They're tired of dealing with their crazy conspiracy theorist constituents.  That's what my Congress critter recently told me when I asked him about it.
Maybe, but so many of those "Crazy conspiracy theories" have turned out to be absolutely true. As Obama and his minions demonstrated, the more outrageous, improbable, and convoluted the crime, the greater the ability to dismiss it as fiction, which makes that the first line of defense. Besides, it requires effort and dedication to ferret out the details, and most people have been brain diddled to the point that they have seriously short attention spans.

Try explaining it to someone who has no claimed ability to keep politics straight, but could be a sports handicapper or watched half a dozen soap operas and kept track of them all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 02:34:02 am »
Reason One:  McCarthy's Told You So

McCarthy: ‘Republicans Lost the Majority’ When Gaetz Led My Ouster
Breitbart, Mar 23, 2024

As turmoil continues within the House Republican caucus, former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) appeared on Fox News Channel’s “Jesse Watters Primetime” and weighed in on that turmoil and the decisions his successor, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), is facing.

According to the former California lawmaker, the beginning of the end for Republicans came when Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) led his ouster last year.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/03/23/mccarthy-republicans-lost-the-majority-when-gaetz-led-my-ouster/

Reason Two:  The Paul Ryan NT Playbook

In April 2018, Ryan announced his resignation taking dozens of GOP members with him.  He paved the way for Nancy's speakership and greased the road to Trump's impeachment. IMO, we're witnessing a sequel performance from the esteemed legacy GOP in preparation for Trump's reelection.