Author Topic: Would you recommend military service? New survey shows why majority say ‘No.’  (Read 193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Would you recommend military service? New survey shows why majority say ‘No.’
By
Tessa Robinson
Mar 19, 2024 3:00 PM PDT

SUMMARY
Since 2009, Blue Star Families has asked the military community the hard questions about issues they face in hopes of lightening the load. This year’s survey is no different.
Since 2009, Blue Star Families has used its unbelievable reach to assess the state of the military family. From spouse unemployment to financial stressors, PCS problems to the military recruiting crisis, over 100,000 respondents have voiced their experiences to create change over the years.

The 2023 survey results are out and 7,431 service members, veterans and military family members answered the survey, with the largest demographic being military spouses.

Here are some of the key findings:
Active Duty & Spouses

When asked to "select up to five military life issues that most concern you right now," military spouses cited employment, pay, family separations, BAH/off-base housing concerns and dependent education as their top worries. For service members, it was family separations, pay, BAH/Off-base housing concerns, PCS issues and spouse employment.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-news/blue-star-families-2023-survey/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They didn't poll illegal immigrants who are living off money intended for the military? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Looking at the top 10 concerns of active duty personnel and their spouses, it's the same list with different prioritization levels.

I did not recommend military service to my grandsons.

Not with the things going on, and serious questions about the nature of the conflicts dating back to 9/11 and their conduct (what's the end game, when is the job done and everyone can come home, and why not let them build their own nation, and get out, rather than try to impose Western values on an entirely different culture, for starters). The social experimentation was a kicker.

But then, I did not push college, either.

I did recommend trade school if they found some trade they really liked, but I adhere to the idea that doing something you love means you never really work (at least until you form your own company) and you get someone else to pay for all the neat tools and gadgets you get to use. People will always need the services of people who know how to 'do stuff'. I also advised them, by all means don't pigeonhole yourself, learn as much as you can about as much as you can, because you never know when you might need that knowledge.

Accomplish something each day, and you'll do fine. Be the best you can at whatever you do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis