Author Topic: CBP: America’s Front Line Against Fentanyl  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CBP: America’s Front Line Against Fentanyl
« on: March 23, 2024, 01:47:28 pm »
CBP: America’s Front Line Against Fentanyl

CBP sharpens focus to stop deadly fentanyl and other synthetics, as well as precursors and the equipment to make them, in midst of unprecedented smuggling of the dangerous drugs
CBP officers in Nogales, Arizona, seized nearly $4.6 million in fentanyl and methamphetamine totaling close to 650 pounds in January 2019. Photo by Jerry Glaser

It is a scourge taking the lives of more than 150 Americans each day – around 55,000 every year. But it’s not cancer, heart disease or even COVID – although those are also devastating to the population. It’s the number of overdose deaths from synthetic drugs, such as illicit fentanyl. With the other health issues, agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) take the lead in protecting the American public. With fentanyl and other synthetic drugs crossing our borders, it’s U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

“In my 30 years as a customs official, the trafficking of synthetic illicit drugs like fentanyl is one of the toughest, most daunting challenges I have ever seen,” said CBP Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Commissioner Troy Miller. “We have the right capabilities from interdiction to intelligence capabilities. We're in the right places at our land borders and between the ports in international airports, in both the passenger and air cargo environments and at our maritime borders, too. And we know what works. Intelligence-driven operations, relentless, targeting people, partnerships, and technology. CBP is well positioned to lead the federal government's efforts in this fight.”

“We have a multi-layered strategy for tackling the fentanyl and synthetic opioid issue,” said Joe Draganac, director of CBP’s Fentanyl Campaign Directorate established under CBP’s new Strategy to Combat Fentanyl and Other Synthetic Drugs.

https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/cbp-america-s-front-line-against-fentanyl?utm_source=hp_slideshow&utm_medium=referral&utm_title=frontline_against_fentanyl
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: CBP: America’s Front Line Against Fentanyl
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 01:49:40 pm »
It makes absolutely not a bit of difference what tools they have if the administration doesn't allow them to be used.  It does look good in media print though. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson