Author Topic: How is Europe cracking down on climate protests?  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How is Europe cracking down on climate protests?
« on: March 23, 2024, 11:21:57 am »
How is Europe cracking down on climate protests?

Beatrice Tridimas

Published: March 07, 2024

What’s the context?
Activists protesting climate change in Europe face tougher penalties, surveillance and repression as authorities crack down

New laws criminalise protest tactics, toughen penalties
Climate activists face mass arrests, harsh bail terms
Authorities conduct raids, tap phones

LONDON - Across Europe, governments are introducing new rules, doling out stricter punishments and ramping up surveillance in response to a rise in climate demonstrations and direct action protests, such as blocking roads or throwing paint at artworks.

The clampdown could have a chilling effect on the ability of climate activists to protest and could constitute a threat to democracy, according to rights experts, the United Nations and the Council of Europe.

Rights groups also note that while climate protests often lead to arrests, authorities have acted less harshly towards farmers, who blocked roads this year to protest against green policies they blame for lost earnings. The European Union agreed to delay some green regulations to ease tensions.

Here are some of the ways European governments are cracking down on climate protesters.

Which countries have introduced new protest laws?

https://www.context.news/climate-justice/how-is-europe-cracking-down-on-climate-protests?utm_campaign=Hot%20News&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--A4UbOG8gn8zw0q0UflTnYkR8dC3DudLS2fCUFXWemoliDgGfYIF2yu61YCHBQjd3L_Bov
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson