Author Topic: ‘Not defendable’: Top enlisted brass blast conditions for soldiers  (Read 138 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Not defendable’: Top enlisted brass blast conditions for soldiers

The 'quality of life' for military and their families has become a persistent problem, and its feeding into the recruitment crisis
REPORTING | WASHINGTON POLITICS
Washington Politics Military Recruitment
CONNOR ECHOLS
MAR 21, 2024
U.S. soldiers face a quality-of-living crisis as the Pentagon’s recruitment woes persist, according to top-ranking enlisted officers from across the U.S. military.

“We’ve had a break in trust with our American people,” said Master Chief James Honea, the top enlisted adviser to Navy leadership, in a Wednesday congressional hearing. “We have to do much better at taking care” of our service members, Honea said, adding that he doesn’t want the military to “reach a breaking point” where more people decide to leave the military.

Officers and members of Congress highlighted poorly maintained barracks, food insecurity, sexual violence, and limited access to healthcare and childcare as key problems facing U.S. soldiers today. Economic problems are particularly acute among military families, who often struggle to find jobs for civilian spouses and proper food and healthcare for their children.

“It's time for our actions to match up with our words, as far as putting families above everything else,” said Rep. Tony Gonzales (R-Texas).

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/military-recruitment/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson