Author Topic: Russia's lies helped persuade Niger to eject US troops, AFRICOM says  (Read 222 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Russia's lies helped persuade Niger to eject US troops, AFRICOM says
The U.S. needs to beef up its own counter-disinformation efforts, Gen. Langley tells lawmakers.
PATRICK TUCKER | MARCH 21, 2024 06:35 PM ET

Why did Niger, a country the United States considered a safe ally in Africa just last year, suddenly elect to kick the U.S. military out of the country following a coup? Russian disinformation efforts in the region played a huge role, according to Gen. Michael Langley, the head of U.S. Africa Command.

“The Russian Federation had their playbook. They had their passing game through their disinformation,” he told the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday. “That’s why I have asked for more capabilities in the State Department from their Global Engagement Center and also in our information operations in the military.”

One example of just how quick and aggressive Russian disinformation actors are in the region: last April, Russian mercenaries with the Wagner Group buried several bodies near a base French forces had just occupied—so the Russians could launch a social media campaign that blamed French forces.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2024/03/top-us-commander-africa-pleads-resources-counter-russian-disinformation/395145/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Russia's lies helped persuade Niger to eject US troops, AFRICOM says
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 03:36:50 pm »
And just what did the good General do to counteract those lies, besides nothing?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 03:51:35 pm »
America needs to bug out of the Middle East and put more resources to work building relationships with African and Latin American nations to blunt the spread of Russian and Chi-com influence in those reason.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm »
Asking Foggy Bottom to act in US' interests is a fool's errand.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.