Author Topic: Here’s how Biden defied the Supreme Court to cancel $144 billion in student loans  (Read 223 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here’s how Biden defied the Supreme Court to cancel $144 billion in student loans
By
Haisten Willis
March 22, 2024 4:00 am

President Joe Biden unveiled another round in his steady drip of student debt write-offs on Thursday, announcing that 78,000 public sector workers would not have to repay $6 billion in loans.

“From day one of my administration, I promised to fix broken student loan programs and make sure higher education is a ticket to the middle class, not a barrier to opportunity,” Biden said. “I won’t back down from using every tool at my disposal to deliver student debt relief to more Americans, and build an economy from the middle out and bottom up.”

Biden’s previous loan cancellation plan was ruled illegal by the Supreme Court. However, his more recent debt transfers rest on a different legal authority than the original, $400 billion-plus plan.

The original program, which was announced six weeks before the 2022 midterm elections, rested legally on the HEROES Act of 2003. That law was written with Iraq War veterans in mind and dependent on the presence of a national emergency, which Biden said was apt due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The high court disagreed.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/2932356/how-biden-defied-supreme-court-to-cancel-144-billion-in-student-loans/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34