Author Topic: The Death of the American Salesman  (Read 262 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The Death of the American Salesman
« on: March 22, 2024, 11:52:37 am »
March 22, 2024
The Death of the American Salesman
By Stephan Helgesen

Time was, when we Americans could sell anything to anybody.

We made things, big things and small things, things that worked as advertised and that lasted beyond their warranties. And that goes for us as a nation, too. Admittedly, my frame of reference is limited to the last eight decades of my life, but in that time, I have noticed a marked shift in how we view ourselves as a country and a people.

We've gone from pride to prejudices, from faith to fears, and from purposeful optimism to abject pessimism. We've become a country of self-doubters, ashamed of and apologetic for our history. We hide our true opinions, justifying to ourselves that it's better to demur than to engage each other in conversation. After all, conversation could lead to disagreement and that could lead to conflict which would be unpleasant and uncomfortable. Better to step away from confrontation and live in peaceful coexistence with the forces that are working feverishly to upend all the time-honored cultural values that we hold dear, than to raise our heads above the waterline and make ourselves a target.

As a young man growing up, I listened as my grandparents told me of horrific tales of the Depression of the 1930s that robbed an entire generation of its future and slammed the door of opportunity in their faces until FDR's works programs helped lift them out of poverty and hopelessness. At the same time, I heard my parents speak proudly of how America fought the scourge of fascism and communism and helped liberate the imprisoned world of Europe and Asia as we marshaled all our efforts to tool up our war machine and supply our troops with everything from K-rations to battleships. Everybody pitched in with victory gardens and scrap metal drives. The spirit of solidarity was a thing of beauty, I was told.

continued at: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/03/the_death_of_the_american_salesman.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Death of the American Salesman
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 10:24:46 pm »
Mr. Helgesen:
"As a young man growing up, I listened as my grandparents told me of horrific tales of the Depression of the 1930s that robbed an entire generation of its future and slammed the door of opportunity in their faces until FDR's works programs helped lift them out of poverty and hopelessness. At the same time, I heard my parents speak proudly of how America fought the scourge of fascism and communism and helped liberate the imprisoned world of Europe and Asia as we marshaled all our efforts to tool up our war machine and supply our troops with everything from K-rations to battleships. Everybody pitched in with victory gardens and scrap metal drives. The spirit of solidarity was a thing of beauty, I was told."

What was the demographic makeup of America in the 1930's?

What is the demographic makeup of America today?

That has something to do with it.
Actually, it has MUCH "to do with it"...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 12:59:20 am by Fishrrman »