Author Topic: One of the last survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack has died at 102  (Read 240 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
One of the last survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack has died at 102
By Audrey McAvoy, The Associated Press
 Mar 21, 01:07 PM

Pearl Harbor survivor and Navy veteran Dick Higgins died Tuesday, March 19, 2024, at his home in Bend, Ore. He was 102. (Joe Kline/The Bulletin via AP)
HONOLULU — Richard C. “Dick” Higgins, one of the few remaining survivors of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, has died, a family member said Wednesday. He was 102.

Higgins died at home in Bend, Oregon, on Tuesday of natural causes, granddaughter Angela Norton said.

Higgins was a radioman assigned to a patrol squadron of seaplanes based at the Hawaii naval base when Japanese planes began dropping bombs on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.

He recounted in a 2008 oral history interview how he was in his bunk inside a screened-in lanai, or porch, on the third floor of his barracks when the bombing began.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2024/03/21/one-of-the-last-survivors-of-the-pearl-harbor-attack-has-died-at-102/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: One of the last survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack has died at 102
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:48:15 pm »
 :flag:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustynail

Re: One of the last survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack has died at 102
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:23:56 pm »
Now with 'sue and settle' the EPA can force the Navy to get that oil leaking ship out of the harbor.