Author Topic: Their WWII mission was secret for decades. Now the Ghost Army will get the Congressional Gold Medal  (Read 146 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Their WWII mission was secret for decades. Now the Ghost Army will get the Congressional Gold Medal
Story by JAMIE STENGLE, Associated Press • 14

© Provided by The Associated Press
DALLAS (AP) — For decades, their mission during World War II was a secret. With inflatable tanks, trucks and planes, combined with sound effects, radio trickery, costume uniforms and acting, the American military units that became known as the Ghost Army helped outwit the enemy. Now, they are being awarded the Congressional Gold Medal.

Three of the seven known surviving members are set to attend the ceremony at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, including 100-year-old Seymour Nussenbaum of Monroe Township, New Jersey. Bernard Bluestein, 100, of Hoffman Estates, Illinois, and John Christman, 99, of Leesburg, New Jersey, are also set to attend.

“It was like putting on a big production,” Nussenbaum said. “We have had in some cases people impersonating generals, putting on a general's uniform and walking around the streets.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/their-wwii-mission-was-secret-for-decades-now-the-ghost-army-will-get-the-congressional-gold-medal/ar-BB1kfYDv
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson