Author Topic: Navy sending sailors and ships to help build Gaza aid pier  (Read 267 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy sending sailors and ships to help build Gaza aid pier
« on: March 21, 2024, 03:34:50 pm »
Navy sending sailors and ships to help build Gaza aid pier
By Diana Stancy
 Mar 20, 06:30 PM

The Navy is sending hundreds of sailors and multiple ships to help construct a humanitarian aid pier off the Gaza Strip. Soldiers are shown here building such a causeway off the coast of Australia in 2023. (Army)

Navy cargo ships Roy P. Benavidez, 2nd Lt. John P. Bobo, and 1st Lt. Baldomero Lopez are poised to head to the eastern Mediterranean Sea with more than 250 sailors to help build a humanitarian aid pier off the Gaza Strip, Navy officials confirmed Wednesday.

Sailors will join at least five Army vessels taking part in the plan that the Pentagon says will use the Joint Logistics Over-The-Shore, or JLOTS, capability to construct a floating dock-like staging point, as well as a pier extending to land, for the delivery of humanitarian aid to Palestinians, according to Navy officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Roughly 260 sailors from Naval Beach Group 1 will set up a 72-foot-wide by 270-foot-long floating dock three miles off Gaza.

They will also operate the causeway ferries connected to the pier, and will offload cargo into trucks that will deliver aid to Gaza, Navy officials said.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2024/03/20/navy-sending-sailors-and-ships-to-help-build-gaza-aid-pier/#:~:text=Roughly%20260%20sailors%20from%20Naval,to%20Gaza%2C%20Navy%20officials%20said.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Navy sending sailors and ships to help build Gaza aid pier
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 03:45:20 pm »
Great, fresh American targets for the "Axis of Resistance".
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

Re: Navy sending sailors and ships to help build Gaza aid pier
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 01:21:41 pm »
Jonathan Schanzer
@JSchanzer
This is not a good development. Israel is now being asked to protect US forces.
We have gone from the laudable principle of “Israel fights for itself, by itself” to whatever this is.
Now imagine the fallout from one US casualty.
8:09 AM · Mar 27, 2024
Israel has agreed to provide ‘security bubble’ for Gaza pier project
Lawmakers on Capitol Hil Israel has agreed to provide ‘security bubble’ for Gaza pier project
By Lara Seligman
03/26/2024 07:30 PM EDT
POLITICO

Israel has agreed to provide security for the temporary pier the U.S. military is planning to build in Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid to civilians on the brink of famine, according to two U.S. officials familiar with the plans.

Under the plans being discussed, which have not yet been finalized, the Israel Defense Forces would establish a “security bubble” to protect the U.S. personnel building the pier as well as the individuals involved in offloading and distributing the aid, said one of the officials, both of whom were granted anonymity to speak about sensitive discussions.

The IDF would also be responsible for physically securing the pier to the beach, the officials said.

The U.S. is still in the planning stages and nothing has been finalized, the officials stressed. Another partner country may also be involved in providing some security, depending on where in Gaza the pier is ultimately built, they said. ...

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org