Author Topic: Report: Mitch McConnell Urges Republicans to Oppose Term Limits  (Read 305 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Mitch McConnell Urges Republicans to Oppose Term Limits

Paul Bois 20 Mar 2024

Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (KY) has reportedly told his colleagues to oppose the idea of term limits, which aligns with his past public statements.

A report from Axios said two sources indicated McConnell told Senate Republicans that “imposing term limits on the Senate leader is a bad idea during a Wednesday meeting about the direction of the conference”:

McConnell was one of several senators who spoke during an hour-and-a-half conference meeting, which was called by conservative Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.). McConnell spoke against imposing term limits for the top GOP position, calling it a bad idea, according to two sources in the room. It’s something the [sic] has opposed in the past. McConnell said term limits would weaken the leader’s power to do their job and potentially hurt fundraising.

The prospect of supporting term limits has been an open debate among Republicans over the past few weeks. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), who will be running to replace McConnell as leader in the wake of his stepping down, said this month that he supports term limits. “One reason I am running to be the next Republican Leader is because I believe the Senate needs more engagement from all of my colleagues, and that includes the opportunity for any Member to serve in Leadership. I will support a conference vote to change the rules and institute term limits for the Republican Leader,” he said.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/20/report-mitch-mcconnell-urges-republicans-oppose-term-limits/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Report: Mitch McConnell Urges Republicans to Oppose Term Limits
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 01:45:00 pm »
Turdle's parting gift.  The mere fact he has given 2 weeks notice should negate any relevancy on the matter. 

Anyway, his presence is a poster child of why we DO need term limits.  And....too late to play the Elder Statesman Card Mitchy, you are the problem.....  not the solution.

DC needs to start being about public service instead of a life long career of grift, corruption, and entitlement.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 01:55:12 pm »
The really sensible approach would be term limits for the House (say at most four terms total, at most three served consecutively) but no term limits for the Senate.  This would partially restore the Founders vision of the difference between the two houses (though going back to indirect election of Senators along with such a change would be even better) of the House being more directly responsive to the popular will, while the Senate is composed of elder statesmen whose primary job is to cool popular passions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:56:01 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 11:00:16 pm »
Heh.

Mitch, you're a [barely] walking example of why we NEED "limits" in Congress and the federal courts.

I prefer the concept of "age limits" rather than term limits.

Let's say that no one can run for the House or Senate who will be age 72 upon assuming office.

And that all federal judges will retire at age 70, and all Supreme Court Justices will retire at 73.