Author Topic: The Fed projects higher interest rates, and higher inflation, for longer  (Read 409 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Fed projects higher interest rates, and higher inflation, for longer
By
Tiana Lowe Doescher
March 20, 2024 2:59 pm

For all that investors flipped, flopped, and flipped again in the past six months of speculation over future interest rates, the Federal Reserve has remained remarkably consistent. In a total confirmation of its previous projection from the end of 2023, the first summary of economic projections from the central bank in 2024 likewise predicts just three cuts to the federal funds rate this year, with the Fed holding rates at the 23-year high of the 5.25% to 5.5% range. But even though the Fed still projects higher interest rates for longer, it made one crucial modification to its projections: even higher inflation for longer.

In December, the Fed predicted that median core PCE inflation for 2024 would fall to 2.4%, just shy of its 2% goal. But now, it predicts a 2024 median of 2.6%. And whereas it considers its low unemployment rate projection even more broadly balanced than it did in December, the Fed now sees upside risks to inflation projections. While the Fed remains committed to approaching its 2% median inflation target in the next two years, not one member contributing to March’s SEP believes inflation will do so this year.

And recall, this is just its projection for core PCE. Consumer price index inflation is back on the rise to an annual rate of 3.2%, and core CPI has stagnated at 3.8%. Meanwhile, wholesale prices, leading indicators of consumer inflation, have blown past economist expectations, jumping from 1% annually in January to 1.6% in February, and core PPI came in even higher at 2%.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/2930404/fed-projects-higher-interest-rates-higher-inflation-longer/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

When Joe's mandates for EV's and reduction of oil takes full effect it will get even worse.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

Until we elect people who are serious about reducing spending and deficits, inflation is here to stay
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy