Author Topic: Justice Jackson’s Comment About Free Speech ‘Hamstringing’ The Government Wasn’t Her Worst Margot C  (Read 141 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Justice Jackson's 'Hamstringing' Comment Wasn't Her Worst
Margot Cleveland

Following Monday’s Supreme Court oral argument in the social media censorship case Murthy v. Missouri, outraged free-speech advocates rightfully excoriated Justice Kentanji Brown Jackson for worrying that the First Amendment will “hamstring[] the government in significant ways in the most important time periods.”

Given that “hamstringing” the federal government was precisely the purpose of the Bill of Rights, Justice Jackson’s comment laid bare the fundamental disdain she and other politically liberal justices hold for the classically liberal freedoms our Constitution protects.

But even worse than Jackson’s “hamstring” comment was something she said a half-dozen sentences later.

“So can you help me? Because I’m really — I’m really worried about that because you’ve got the First Amendment operating in an environment of threatening circumstances from the government’s perspective,” Justice Jackson said to Louisiana Solicitor General Benjamin Aguiñaga. Why couldn’t the government communicate with social media companies then? Jackson queried.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2024/03/20/justice-jacksons-comment-about-free-speech-hamstringing-the-government-wasnt-her-worst/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34