Author Topic: Tactical Success and Strategic Confusion: Lessons Not Learned  (Read 244 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Tactical Success and Strategic Confusion: Lessons Not Learned
03/19/2024
By Ed Timperlake
Recently, we interviewed David Evans, who has had an unusual career as a Vietnam War Marine, and then a decorated journalist.

This interview underscored a key element of the Vietnam War experience. Tactical victories and significant American and allied sacrifices to establish a free Vietnam were undercut by strategic direction from Washington making decisions with little regard to the facts on the ground.

Cubical commanders made strategic decisions: Marines and U.S. and allied forces achieved significant tactical victories. The two seemed to not mesh, which is an unfortunate U.S. pattern to be repeated notably in Iraq and Afghanistan with the disastrous blitzkrieg withdrawal from Afghanistan under President Biden.

David Evans USMC Artillery officer served at two of the most legionary Marine combat bases in the history of the Corps.

https://defense.info/featured-story/2024/03/tactical-success-and-strategic-confusion-lessons-not-learned/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Tactical Success and Strategic Confusion: Lessons Not Learned
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 01:49:48 pm »
Lessons not learned or lesson ignored?  Or maybe lessons that don't fit the woke agenda? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Tactical Success and Strategic Confusion: Lessons Not Learned
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 01:53:08 pm »
Making the facts fit the "narrative".
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.