Author Topic: The Air Force's Dream of Mounting a Laser Weapon on an AC-130J Ghostrider Gunship Is Dead  (Read 168 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Air Force's Dream of Mounting a Laser Weapon on an AC-130J Ghostrider Gunship Is Dead

Military.com | By Jared Keller
Published March 19, 2024 at 11:53am ET

The Air Force no longer plans on installing and operating a high-energy laser weapon on a special operations gunship due to "technical challenges," an official said, bringing the service's latest attempt at an airborne directed-energy system to an end after years in development.

A spokesman for Air Force Special Operations Command confirmed to Military.com that its Airborne High Energy Laser, or AHEL, missed its "available integration and flight test window" for operations from an AC-130J Ghostrider gunship amid open-air ground testing.

AFSOC had previously stated in November 2023 that airborne testing of the AHEL would commence in January 2024 and finish in June. As The War Zone noted, that window already represented a delay from a previously promised testing period of fiscal 2021.

While the AHEL achieved " significant end-to-end, high-power operation" during ground tests, the missed integration and flight test window prompted AFSOC to "[refocus] on ground testing to improve operations and reliability to posture for a successful hand-off for use by other agencies," the command spokesman said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/19/air-forces-dream-of-mounting-laser-weapon-ac-130j-ghostrider-gunship-dead.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
And another military program goes down the tubes, yea team! :cheerlead:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson