Author Topic: Ex-general recounts opposition to disastrous Afghanistan pullout, laments Biden ‘strategic failure’  (Read 1309 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Ex-general recounts opposition to disastrous Afghanistan pullout, laments Biden ‘strategic failure’ in Hill testimony
By Social Links for Caitlin Doornbos
Published March 19, 2024, 2:29 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Two former top military commanders told lawmakers Tuesday that President Biden ordered the chaotic and deadly US withdrawal from Afghanistan despite warnings that it would precipitate the collapse of the Western-backed government in Kabul.

Retired Army Gen. Mark Milley, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and former Marine Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, ex-leader of US Central Command, appeared before the House Foreign Affairs Committee in a bid to shed new light on the tragic pullout, which both men oversaw.

While Milley and McKenzie have testified multiple times before Congress about the withdrawal, Tuesday’s voluntary appearances marked the first time they had done so since their retirements — leading lawmakers to believe they would speak more freely about what happened in the days and weeks before the Afghanistan calamity.

“My personal analysis was that an accelerated withdrawal would likely lead to the general collapse of the Afghan security forces and the Afghan government, resulting in a large-scale civil war reminiscent of the 1990s or a complete Taliban takeover,” Milley told the panel.

more
https://nypost.com/2024/03/19/us-news/ex-general-recounts-opposition-to-disastrous-afghanistan-pullout-laments-biden-strategic-failure-in-hill-testimony/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Milley and McKenzie testimony exposes rift between Defense and State departments over Afghanistan
By
Mike Brest
March 19, 2024 3:57 pm

Two former top military officials involved with the United States’s withdrawal from Afghanistan blamed the State Department for the chaos that played out due to what they said was a delay in ordering an evacuation.

Gen. Mark Milley, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Gen. Frank McKenzie, the former commander of U.S. Central Command, testified in front of the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday afternoon regarding the August 2021 withdrawal.

“On 14 August, the noncombatant evacuation operation decision was made by the Department of State and the U.S. military alerted, marshaled, mobilized, and rapidly deployed faster than any military in the world could ever do,” Milley said. “It is my assessment that that decision came too late.”

The State Department is responsible for ordering a noncombatant evacuation operation, or NEO, to be carried out by the military. The two former leaders indicated that the department made that call much too late in the case of Afghanistan. It did not order the evacuation effort until Aug. 14, one day before the Taliban overtook Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, and only about 2 1/2 weeks before the military’s departure at the end of the month.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/2928191/milley-mckenzie-testimony-rift-defense-state-departments-afghanistan/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline berdie

I still carry deep anger over this. And who do you believe? These Generals that seem to be saying...Not Us!!! Or the sorry State Department.

But I guess it really doesn't matter. It was a horrendous screw-up. All carry guilt.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dem Rep. Meeks: ‘We Did a Lot Right’ in Afghanistan Withdrawal, Trump Was ‘Foundation’ of End, Shouldn’t Be Partisan

Ian Hanchett 19 Mar 2024

On Tuesday’s broadcast of CNN’s “The Lead,” House Foreign Affairs Committee Ranking Member Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY) pointed to testimony at the Afghanistan hearing “that the Doha Agreement was the foundation of everything that followed, including the end,” and also argued that the only way to get answers is “in a bipartisan way, not in an overtly political way.” Meeks also argued that “we did a lot right. Because the generals also said the mission was successful, talked about the historic [nature] of getting 124,000 individuals out in the shortest period of time.”

Meeks stated that Gen. Mark Milley “also said that the Doha Agreement was the foundation of everything that followed, including the end, which says that you can’t just make a judgment of — and give the transparency and give the Gold Star families what they need without looking at the entire picture. And I hope, because I want them to have the answers too, but the only way that we can do that is in a bipartisan way, not in an overtly political way. The sole focus of this hearing was just trying to discredit Joe Biden. Well, without looking at the Doha Agreement and Donald Trump or any other president — we want, I want, I won’t stop until we figure out what went wrong, what went right, and we did a lot right. Because the generals also said the mission was successful, talked about the historic [nature] of getting 124,000 individuals out in the shortest period of time. So, we’ve got to work together, not play politics, a lot of the questions that they were asking — the Republicans were asking, I think [were] all based upon, oh, Biden this, Biden that. Whereas, when you look at the Democratic questions that they were asking, it was trying to get to the meat of the matter of how we can best be transparent with the American people, find out what was right, find out what was wrong, and put the politics behind us.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/03/19/dem-rep-meeks-we-did-a-lot-right-in-afghanistan-withdrawal-trump-was-foundation-of-end-shouldnt-be-partisan/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Milley confirms he got piece of paper ordering full withdrawal from Afghanistan during final Trump days
By
Mike Brest
March 19, 2024 4:48 pm

Shortly after former President Donald Trump lost his reelection bid in November 2020, then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley was given a piece of paper that called for the withdrawal of U.S. forces in Somalia and Afghanistan.

Milley, who has since retired as a general in the Army, told lawmakers that he received the note days after Trump fired then-Secretary of Defense Mark Esper in the aftermath of the election. The piece of paper, he told lawmakers on the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday, had the president’s signature on it and called for the complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Somalia by Dec. 15, 2020, and from Afghanistan by Jan. 15, 2021.

“Acting Secretary of Defense [Christopher] Miller and I and others went over to the White House to confirm that order because we had not been consulted on that,” Milley explained. “So we did, and that order was then subsequently rescinded.”

Roughly a week later, he received a new order from then-national security adviser Robert O’Brien, which called for the U.S. military to reduce its troop presence to 2,500.

News of the note emerged last November via a book by ABC News’s Jonathan Karl, who reported that it was not in fact written by Trump but by John McEntee, who was serving as director of the Presidential Personnel Office. Milley did not reveal in his testimony who gave him the note or who wrote it.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/2928575/milley-paper-order-withdrawal-afghanistan-final-trump-days/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Milley confirms he got piece of paper ordering full withdrawal from Afghanistan during final Trump days
By
Mike Brest
March 19, 2024 4:48 pm

Shortly after former President Donald Trump lost his reelection bid in November 2020, then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley was given a piece of paper that called for the withdrawal of U.S. forces in Somalia and Afghanistan.

Milley, who has since retired as a general in the Army, told lawmakers that he received the note days after Trump fired then-Secretary of Defense Mark Esper in the aftermath of the election. The piece of paper, he told lawmakers on the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday, had the president’s signature on it and called for the complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Somalia by Dec. 15, 2020, and from Afghanistan by Jan. 15, 2021.

“Acting Secretary of Defense [Christopher] Miller and I and others went over to the White House to confirm that order because we had not been consulted on that,” Milley explained. “So we did, and that order was then subsequently rescinded.”

Roughly a week later, he received a new order from then-national security adviser Robert O’Brien, which called for the U.S. military to reduce its troop presence to 2,500.

News of the note emerged last November via a book by ABC News’s Jonathan Karl, who reported that it was not in fact written by Trump but by John McEntee, who was serving as director of the Presidential Personnel Office. Milley did not reveal in his testimony who gave him the note or who wrote it.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense/2928575/milley-paper-order-withdrawal-afghanistan-final-trump-days/

Not the least bit surprising.  Trump gave a half-cocked order that he ended up rescinding after pushback from advisors.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, did Trump write the note or not?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

I still carry deep anger over this. And who do you believe? These Generals that seem to be saying...Not Us!!! Or the sorry State Department.

But I guess it really doesn't matter. It was a horrendous screw-up. All carry guilt.

You should!

I didn't see any of these tough talking Generals stand up and resign before executing such a stupid plan. They aren't worth a bucket of spit, anybody can stand up and say "I didn't think it was right" after the fact.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

So, did Trump write the note or not?

Milley said it was a signed order given to him that he showed to SecDef Miller and others, and nobody has denied it.  So it seems pretty credible to me.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Biden proudly did it and got his way, hes demented doncha know? So lets not blame Biden at all, spread the blame around like at the Generals and Trump.  Status quo,  Biden knows how to send our money and military weapons, Armies to our enemies, with massive amounts of our Treasury to fully fund our enemies.  Our people living on the streets surely don't need dirty filthy money, right.

DON'T BLAME A GOD LIKE JOE, JUST GET ON YOUR KNEES AND PROPERLY WORSHIP HIM.  (anythings better than Trump, eh?)
You know you wanna!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

Milley said it was a signed order given to him that he showed to SecDef Miller and others, and nobody has denied it.  So it seems pretty credible to me.
But if Trump's plan called for getting out in December, all the high passes would have been snowed in. Waiting until the weather was nice and everyone from the hills could gather turned an already tough situation (bugging out from a civilian airport instead of an airbase) into a real fustercluck, and got people killed.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Biden proudly did it and got his way, hes demented doncha know? So lets not blame Biden at all, spread the blame around like at the Generals and Trump.  Status quo,  Biden knows how to send our money and military weapons, Armies to our enemies, with massive amounts of our Treasury to fully fund our enemies.  Our people living on the streets surely don't need dirty filthy money, right.

DON'T BLAME A GOD LIKE JOE, JUST GET ON YOUR KNEES AND PROPERLY WORSHIP HIM.  (anythings better than Trump, eh?)
You know you wanna!
Unless he is a consummate actor or somehow impaired by pharmaceuticals for his public appearances,I seriously doubt Biden is involved in the decision making process. There are people behind the scenes, perhaps multiple layers of them, making the decisions and manipulating this doddering puppet,despite the fact that his personal demons shine through from time to time.

C S Lewis

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
The ways of immaculate sinless Joe are impressive and for 3 solid years now, just blame Trump for everything Joe did AND DOES.  CHINESE ARITHMETIC, RICHT?
 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan :chairbang:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

But if Trump's plan called for getting out in December, all the high passes would have been snowed in. Waiting until the weather was nice and everyone from the hills could gather turned an already tough situation (bugging out from a civilian airport instead of an airbase) into a real fustercluck, and got people killed.

Planning for a withdrawal in winter may have made sense for the reasons you gave.  But Trump giving a wildly short-fuzed order without advance planning or notice would have created a whole bunch of other problems.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The ways of immaculate sinless Joe are impressive and for 3 solid years now, just blame Trump for everything Joe did AND DOES.  CHINESE ARITHMETIC, RICHT?
 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan :chairbang:
Are you off your meds again? Asking for a friend **nononono*

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Sooner or later we had to cut our losses in Afghanistan.  We went there to kill Osama bin Laden and destroy Al-Queda's in Afghanistan.

Those missions were completed long ago.  America is exceptional.  Most of the world's nations are not able, or don't want to, remake themselves in America's image.

We should have learned from the Fall of Saigon - evecuate first, withdraw second.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.