Author Topic: 70% Or More Of F-35s May Not Be Combat-Capable  (Read 357 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
70% Or More Of F-35s May Not Be Combat-Capable
« on: March 18, 2024, 04:19:12 pm »
70% Or More Of F-35s May Not Be Combat-Capable

BY TYLER DURDEN
SUNDAY, MAR 17, 2024 - 08:10 AM
Authored by Mike Fredenburg via The Epoch Times,

A September 2023 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on the F-35 revealed some shocking statistics on just how unready hundreds of billions of dollars worth of F-35s are to provide actual combat power. In fact, the report indicated that only 15 to 30 percent of F-35s may be capable of combat.

But if you were to read a typical article in the media, you might believe that, on average, some 55 percent of F-35s are combat-capable. However,  you would be wrong. You see, when the average person sees a report declaring that 55 percent of F-35 combat aircraft are “mission capable,” they assume mission capable equals combat capable. But in doing so, they are being deceived.

The deception comes out of how the F-35 program office and the whole of the Department of Defense define “mission capable.” It turns out that the DoD definition of “mission capable” does not mean combat capable. What it means is that an aircraft can fly and perform at least one mission. So, a plane designated as mission capable might be capable of doing some type of combat, but it might not. Instead, the mission it might be capable of executing could be testing or training, or some other mission that does not involve combat. And even if it is considered capable of testing or training, it might not be capable of doing the full gamut of testing or training you would expect from a fully functional aircraft. Likewise, it could still be classified as mission capable even if it is only capable of executing a portion of the combat-type missions it is supposed to be able to perform.

Hence, within the environs of the military–industrial–congressional complex, “mission capable” is a highly ambiguous term that allows for a whole lot of gaming of accountability metrics. And it tells us very little. Still, it is worth noting that at a 55 percent mission capable rate, the F-35 fleet is well below program targets of 90 percent for the F-35A (Air Force) and 85 percent for the fighter’s F-35B (Marine Corps) and F-35C (Navy) variants. In other words, the F-35 fleet as a whole is nowhere near meeting its mission capability goal of being able to do anything at all.

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/70-or-more-f-35s-may-not-be-combat-capable
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: 70% Or More Of F-35s May Not Be Combat-Capable
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 04:20:34 pm »
Yet generals a working hard to get rid of aircraft that have a history of working. :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 04:56:21 pm »
All the Gee Whiz stuff in the world isn't worth a tinker's dam if it doesn't work.

Even the most advanced weapons systems in the world can be overwhelmed by more basic systems, especially if the latter work. The Tiger Tank, which while superior, had its downtime problems, vs overwhelming numbers of Sherman tanks, lost.

We may be in a position to learn the same lesson.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 05:08:51 pm »
All the more reason the Armed Forces want to excelerate their retirement of previous air superiority air platforms.

The F-35 procurement syndicate doesn't want the military to have proven, reliable alternatives to fail back upon.

The US Military is burning the F-15's, F-16's, F-18's, F-22's, A-10 Warthogs, etc., so there can be no turning away from the F-35's.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 08:08:10 pm »
This isn't exclusive to F35s.

Might be a bunch of Wing Commanders and Maintenance Chiefs getting "reassigned" soon.

Those jokers need to inflate the "MC (Mission Capable) rates" to show how effective they are in order to attain the next rank.

I'll give you an example; An F16 without its engine installed is NMC (Non-Mission Capable). However, that same F16 with the replacement engine positioned behind it, with about 10-12 hours of work still remaining to complete the install is FMC (Fully Mission Capable).

"How does that work?" you may ask. Simple.  They say that because the engine installation can be completed in less than 24 hrs., about the amount of time we used to get to generate for a deployment, it counts as "FMC".
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 09:38:53 pm »
Sure, airplanes on the ground will have 24 hours notice of attack from Russian or Chi-com hypersonic missiles.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 09:56:11 pm »
"70% Or More Of F-35s May Not Be Combat-Capable..."

First thing that came to mind were these lyrics from Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited":

Well, Mack the Finger said to Louie the King
"I got forty red-white-and-blue shoestrings
And a thousand telephones that don't ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things?"
And Louie the King said, "Let me think for a minute, son"
Then he said, "Yes, I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61"

And, for the Ukraine fans, these bonus lyrics:

Now, the roving gambler he was very bored
Trying to create a next world war
He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
He said, "I never engaged in this kind of thing before