Author Topic: A Navy SEAL was convinced exposure to blasts damaged his brain, so he donated it to prove it  (Read 280 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

A Navy SEAL was convinced exposure to blasts damaged his brain, so he donated it to prove it
Story by Melissa Chan • 1d • 5 min read

Before he ended his life, Ryan Larkin made his family promise to donate his brain to science.

The 29-year-old Navy SEAL was convinced years of exposure to blasts had badly damaged his brain, despite doctors telling him otherwise. He had downloaded dozens of research papers on traumatic brain injury out of frustration that no one was taking him seriously, his father said.

“He knew,” Frank Larkin said. “I’ve grown to understand that he was out to prove that he was hurt, and he wasn’t crazy.”

In 2017, a post-mortem study found that Ryan Larkin, a combat medic and instructor who taught SEALs how to breach buildings with explosives, had a pattern of brain scarring unique to service members who’ve endured repeated explosions.

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/us/a-navy-seal-was-convinced-exposure-to-blasts-damaged-his-brain-so-he-donated-it-to-prove-it/ar-BB1k2iU8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WTF?????????????

HOW THE HELL could they have denied him disability,given that he was a career SEAL,and SEAL's get exposed to explosions OFTEN?

This really pisses me off. I had my  brain rattled a few times by explosions also,and I wasn't even a demo man.

We are talking about headaches that makes you think your head might explode.

I guess mine  weren't as serious as I THOUGHT they were because eventually they stopped happening on a daily basis,and I can't even remember the last time I had one.

However,this just means that I was one of the lucky ones. It does NOT mean that everyone was that lucky,and I would be shocked if someone were to tell me most of the team demo men were unaffected.

Sure was fun blowing stuff up,though. It's the juvenile hiding in all adult males wanting to come out to play.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
WTF?????????????

HOW THE HELL could they have denied him disability,given that he was a career SEAL,and SEAL's get exposed to explosions OFTEN?

This really pisses me off. I had my  brain rattled a few times by explosions also,and I wasn't even a demo man.

We are talking about headaches that makes you think your head might explode.

I guess mine  weren't as serious as I THOUGHT they were because eventually they stopped happening on a daily basis,and I can't even remember the last time I had one.

However,this just means that I was one of the lucky ones. It does NOT mean that everyone was that lucky,and I would be shocked if someone were to tell me most of the team demo men were unaffected.

Sure was fun blowing stuff up,though. It's the juvenile hiding in all adult males wanting to come out to play.
Note the date in the article. 2017. Nearly a decade ago. WTF, indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis