Author Topic: Trump unable to secure $454 million appeal bond in New York civil fraud case, his attorneys say  (Read 725 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump unable to secure $454 million appeal bond in New York civil fraud case, his attorneys say

Efforts to secure the bond include "countless hours negotiating with one of the largest insurance companies in the world," but the work has been unfruitful, per the document.
By Madeleine Hubbard

Published: March 18, 2024 10:45am

Former President Donald Trump has been unable to secure the $454 million bond, the full amount of the civil fraud judgment against him, which he must post in order to appeal, his attorneys said in a filing Monday.

Trump offered last month to post a $100 million appeal bond rather than the full amount as the process plays out in court, but the judge denied the proposal.

Trump's "ongoing diligent efforts have proven that a bond in the judgment’s full amount is 'a practical impossibility,'" the former president's lawyers said, per NBC News. "These diligent efforts have included approaching about 30 surety companies through 4 separate brokers."

Efforts to secure the bond include "countless hours negotiating with one of the largest insurance companies in the world," but the work has been unfruitful, per the document.

Trump and his company must post the full amount by next week to stop New York Democratic Attorney General Letitia James from being able to collect it while he appeals the judgment, which New York Judge Arthur Engoron ordered him to pay.

more
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/all-things-trump/trump-unable-secure-454-million-appeal-bond-new-york-civil-fraud
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I think Trump and other GOP factioons needs to start instituting the same tactics against democrats.  Problem is the democrat party has waged scorched earth war, and the republicans cower in feckless fear in return. 

Cut them off at the knees.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

From the article….

Trump and his company must post the full amount by next week to stop New York Democratic Attorney General Letitia James from being able to collect it while he appeals the judgment, which New York Judge Arthur Engoron ordered him to pay.

I’m not an attorney and my sister is out of Florida on a vacation somewhere for me to ask, but for any attorney types on this forum, is this typical?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I think Trump and other GOP factioons needs to start instituting the same tactics against democrats.  Problem is the democrat party has waged scorched earth war, and the republicans cower in feckless fear in return. 

The difference in Republican politicians and Democrats is that Republicans are whole, Democrats are twisted weird freaks. Republican politicians just want to grift and graft as much money as they can get and then go home. That's enough. I am done.

Democrats, on the other side, are religious fanatics. They have a Holy mission to reshape and redo all of America.

When you deal with Republicans, then here it is take the money.

When you deal with Democrats, they want the money but they want MORE. Democrats want to destroy your entire way of life ... for no reason. They have no goal. They have no purpose. They just want destruction for its own sake.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This isn't over.   The purpose of this filing by Trump's lawyers is to set up a due process claim under federal law. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@catfish1957

This should have been started a long time ago,but I suspect the truth is that too many Republicans are "in the bag" with the DNC when it comes to things like pay-offs/bribes for that to happen.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The difference in Republican politicians and Democrats is that Republicans are whole, Democrats are twisted weird freaks. Republican politicians just want to grift and graft as much money as they can get and then go home. That's enough. I am done.

Democrats, on the other side, are religious fanatics. They have a Holy mission to reshape and redo all of America.

When you deal with Republicans, then here it is take the money.

When you deal with Democrats, they want the money but they want MORE. Democrats want to destroy your entire way of life ... for no reason. They have no goal. They have no purpose. They just want destruction for its own sake.

@240B

Not true. The Dims are after more than just mere money. They are after unquestioned POWER.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This isn't over.   The purpose of this filing by Trump's lawyers is to set up a due process claim under federal law.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Would it be possible for you to explain that in plain English in a paragraph or two? I can't be the only one that doesn't have a clue about things like "due process" claims.

Offline Hoodat

@Maj. Bill Martin

This statute has to be a Constitutional issue, no?  Let's say the State issues a zillion dollar fine and then disallows an appeal unless the defendant coughs up a zillion dollars first.  They are essentially denying the defendant the right of appeal by setting an exorbitant fee.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Maj. Bill Martin

This statute has to be a Constitutional issue, no?  Let's say the State issues a zillion dollar fine and then disallows an appeal unless the defendant coughs up a zillion dollars first. They are essentially denying the defendant the right of appeal by setting an exorbitant fee.

@Hoodat

Which is,of course,WHY they are doing it.

NOBODY has ever scared the left like Trump scares them.

Take that into consideration when you cast your ballot.

Offline roamer_1

From the article….

I’m not an attorney and my sister is out of Florida on a vacation somewhere for me to ask, but for any attorney types on this forum, is this typical?

One of two things: Either it's a bad bet, or Tumpy doesn't want to pay the points.

Offline Hoodat

I don't understand how the State of New York can be charging interest on a judgment?  If Trump pays up and then wins the appeal, shouldn't the State of New York then owe Trump interest on the money they held? 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

I don't understand how the State of New York can be charging interest on a judgment?  If Trump pays up and then wins the appeal, shouldn't the State of New York then owe Trump interest on the money they held?

At those numbers the state shouldn't get it either. The funds should be held in escrow by a third party.