Author Topic: The Roman Republic is worth thinking about  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Roman Republic is worth thinking about
« on: March 18, 2024, 02:57:41 pm »
The Roman Republic is worth thinking about
The life and death of Tiberius Gracchus illustrate the virtues of populism

ARTILLERY ROW
By

Elizabeth Heverin
14 March, 2024

Acouple of years ago, the Daily Beast published an article titled “Donald Trump Isn’t Julius Caesar. He’s Republic-Killer Tiberius Gracchus.” While the attack on Trump wasn’t out of the ordinary for an American journalist, what was striking was the author’s hostility to the Roman Republican politician, Tiberius Gracchus, who the author claimed was “dangerous due to his determined incitement of the worst and most violent tendencies of his populist mob.” However, this assertion couldn’t be further from the truth, as Tiberius Gracchus is predominantly recognized in history for being the first case of political violence in the Roman Republic, having been beaten to death by senators wielding wooden chair legs. Indeed, his life stands as the perfect case study into populism, revealing the core of what the ideology is and offering insight into the establishment’s stance towards those who advocate for the interests of the populare. So why, even after more than 2,000 years, is Tiberius Gracchus worth remembering?

What came to define Rome’s foundations was therefore the belief that virtue laid in service to the republic

The Roman Republic emerged in 509 BC after the monarchy, which had ruled Rome since its inception, was abolished in a revolution led by Lucius Junius Brutus, who swore to never again allow such kingly injustices to be inflicted upon the people of Rome. What came to define Rome’s foundations was therefore the belief that virtue laid in service to the republic, while dishonour befell those who prioritised personal gain. That a man’s worth was not defined by his wealth, but by whether his achievements equalled those of his ancestors. For instance, if a Roman soldier saved the life of a Roman citizen by killing an enemy in war, he was awarded with the Corona Civica, which he could then wear for life. This ability to inspire virtue in citizens stemmed from an understanding that the political system belonged to nobody but was collectively shared by Rome as a whole.

After the Second Punic War, the founding virtues of the Republic began to erode. Rome effectively transitioned from controlling territories in Italy and surrounding islands to expanding its influence abroad. This brought unprecedented amounts of wealth into Rome, unlike anything witnessed before. A new class of the super-wealthy emerged, and money became deeply intertwined with the pursuit of public office. For example, in 183 BC, Scipio Africanus was considered the wealthiest man of his time, yet more than a century later, Crassus controlled a fortune forty times that of what Scipio possessed. 

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-roman-republic-is-worth-thinking-about/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: The Roman Republic is worth thinking about
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 10:23:42 pm »
That's an interesting article, but taking T. Gracchus out of the context of his particular circumstances is very dangerous.

The key quote is this:

It is the political aim to serve the interests and concerns of the people — “people” in this context referring to those who are not the establishment but are the ordinary majority. This is why in the Roman Republic, politics was defined not by left vs right, but by Patricians vs Plebs.

That sounds just as much like Bernie Sanders as it does like Donald Trump.  Which is part of the reason I think so many traditional conservatives are leery of the guy.   Class warfare has always been the tool of the left, not the right.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:26:15 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »