Author Topic: Marine Corps Continues Path to Retirement for Artillery System that Has Seen Heavy Use in Ukraine  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine Corps Continues Path to Retirement for Artillery System that Has Seen Heavy Use in Ukraine

Military.com | By Drew F. Lawrence
Published March 15, 2024 at 1:14pm ET

For more than two decades, the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, or HIMARS, has served as a key piece for U.S. deterrence, including in Europe. The launchers, built on the back of trucks and designed to send missiles or rockets over 150 miles to hit targets the size of a trash can using GPS, have also recently seen ample action in Ukraine as forces have worked to repel the Russian invasion.

But the Marine Corps plans to retire its HIMARS over the next several years, instead prioritizing other platforms to pick up the capability a mobile rocket or missile launcher would offer, and heading full-tilt toward its coastal mission.

At the moment, however, they're still a key part of the U.S. arsenal as put on display during the Nordic Response '24 NATO exercise that included Marines earlier this month in Alta, Norway.

Read Next: Air Force Missile Base Personnel Have Elevated Breast, Prostate Cancer Rates, Initial Study Results Indicate

"If Putin decides to get ballsy and go off and do worse things than he's doing right now," one sergeant, a HIMARS maintainer, told Military.com during the exercise, "I'm going to be back out here fixing these things for us and for other countries, helping them out."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/15/marine-corps-continues-path-retirement-artillery-system-has-seen-heavy-use-ukraine.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson