Author Topic: Speaker Johnson sends stern message to Republican candidates battling in primaries  (Read 203 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Speaker Johnson tells Republicans campaigning against each other in primaries to ‘cool it’: report
Johnson guiding razor-thin Republican majority in House of Representatives
By Stephen Sorace Fox News
Published March 17, 2024 1:31pm EDT

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson is telling Republicans who are going after sitting GOP lawmakers in contentious primaries to "knock it off," in order to tamp down on divisions within the party, according to a report.

Johnson, R-La., attended the House Republicans’ annual member retreat at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, last week to unify the often-fractious conference as at least four sitting Republicans in South Carolina, Illinois, Texas and Virginia are going to battle against Republican challengers.

"I’ve asked them all to cool it," Johnson told CNN during the retreat. "I am vehemently opposed to member-on-member action in primaries because it’s not productive. And it causes division for obvious reasons, and we should not be engaging in that."

Johnson is trying to figure out how to guide his razor-thin majority through a series of legislative hurdles that divide Republicans, including how to provide military aid for Ukraine, finish government funding and reauthorize a federal surveillance program – all while trying to make a case that voters should re-elect a GOP House majority.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/speaker-johnson-tells-republicans-campaigning-against-each-other-primaries-cool-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gaetz brushes off Johnson’s warning against campaigning against fellow House Republicans
By
Brady Knox
March 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) waved off House Speaker Mike Johnson‘s (R-LA) plea to cease campaigning against fellow Republicans in primaries.

At the House Republican retreat in West Virginia last week, Johnson warned party members not to campaign against each other. Gaetz, who is leading efforts to primary Reps. Mike Bost (R-IL) and Tony Gonzales (R-TX), indicated that he would ignore the complaint.

“I would love nothing more than to just go after Democrats,” Gaetz told CNN. “But if Republicans are going to dress up like Democrats in drag, I’m going to go after them too. Because, at the end of the day, we’re not judged by how many Republicans we have in Congress. We’re judged on whether or not we save the country.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2924638/gaetz-brushes-off-johnsons-warning-against-campaigning-against-fellow-house-republicans/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
“I would love nothing more than to just go after Democrats,” Gaetz told CNN. “But if Republicans are going to dress up like Democrats in drag, I’m going to go after them too. Because, at the end of the day, we’re not judged by how many Republicans we have in Congress. We’re judged on whether or not we save the country.”

Mr. Gaetz said it right.
Stand down, Speaker Johnson.