Author Topic: Gun Ban for Non-Violent Illegal Immigrant Found Unconstitutional [Update]  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Reload by Stephen Gutowski 3/14/2024

The Second Amendment protects people’s ability to own a gun even if they’ve entered the country illegally.

That’s the ruling handed down by US District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman on Friday. She found the federal prohibition on illegal immigrants owning guns is unconstitutional, at least as applied to Heriberto Carbajal-Flores. She ruled the ban did not fit with America’s historical tradition of gun regulation as required under the Supreme Court’s landmark New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen ruling.

“The noncitizen possession statute, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(5), violates the Second Amendment as applied to Carbajal-Flores,” Judge Colman wrote in US v. Carbajal-Flores. “Thus, the Court grants Carbajal-Flores’ motion to dismiss.”

The ruling is the latest fallout from the new standard for Second Amendment cases set in Bruen. Since the landmark case was decided in 2022, a wide swath of state and federal gun restrictions have come under increased scrutiny in the courts. Among the most commonly recurring questions raised by the new standard is who can be barred from owning guns, and the Carbajal-Flores case is among the first to examine whether people who entered the country illegally are among them.

Judge Coleman, a Barack Obama appointee, initially found the gun ban for illegal immigrants was constitutional back in April 2022. However, she agreed to reconsider the case in light of rulings from the federal appeals courts in the Third and Seventh Circuit that questioned whether those convicted of non-violent crimes could be permanently disarmed after the High Court handed down Bruen in June 2022. She concluded breaking misdemeanor immigration laws alone is not enough justification to strip somebody of their gun rights under the new test.

“[C]arbajal-Flores has never been convicted of a felony, a violent crime, or a crime involving the use of a weapon. Even in the present case, Carbajal-Flores contends that he received and used the handgun solely for self-protection and protection of property during a time of documented civil unrest in the Spring of 2020,” Judge Coleman wrote. “Additionally, Pretrial Service has confirmed that Carbajal-Flores has consistently adhered to and fulfilled all the stipulated conditions of his release, is gainfully employed, and has no new arrests or outstanding warrants.”

The Department of Justice (DOJ) argued the modern ban was akin to historical bans on loyalists owning guns during the Founding Era and should stand. However, Judge Coleman found that historical ban included exceptions that imply the ban was based on the actions of individual loyalists.

More: https://thereload.com/gun-ban-for-non-violent-illegal-immigrant-found-unconstitutional/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:11:28 pm by Mod2 »

Offline LMAO

Um…. entering the country illegally in itself is a felony.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

So is aiding and abetting anyone committing a crime.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

Is anybody aware of this judges view on private firearm ownership of legal citizens of this country?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

If one commits a felonious offense but is not charged and convicted, then they are not felons.

Offline LMAO

If one commits a felonious offense but is not charged and convicted, then they are not felons.

Fair point

You are right. Ruling is based on the fact that he hasn’t been convicted

This is going to get complicated as the administration rips open the border and allows more people in illegally without charging them as such

Barry Goldwater

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Convicted? Well it's kinda prima facie, if you ask me.

Possession of a firearm in the commission of a Felony is a ...  Felony.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well now this is interesting, if I'm an illegal alien but shipped to a dangerous city/state and I can legally buy and possibly legally carry a gun does this give me more incentive to illegally vote for republicans than democrats?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well now this is interesting, if I'm an illegal alien but shipped to a dangerous city/state and I can legally buy and possibly legally carry a gun does this give me more incentive to illegally vote for republicans than democrats?
Chances are your ballot is already filled out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

Chances are your ballot is already filled out.
Well maybe the first ten, how about eleven thru fifteen....?

Offline Hoodat

Did they issue a ruling on the Illegal Immigrant ban?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Military Arms
@MAC_Arms
A federal judge has ruled illegals can now own firearms despite a long standing question on the ATF 4473 form that every new gun purchaser must fill out. Lying on this form is a crime. I'm a bit confused. Can we do away with the 4473 form now? Please?

5:00 PM · Mar 19, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

Military Arms
@MAC_Arms
A federal judge has ruled illegals can now own firearms despite a long standing question on the ATF 4473 form that every new gun purchaser must fill out. Lying on this form is a crime. I'm a bit confused. Can we do away with the 4473 form now? Please?

5:00 PM · Mar 19, 2024

It’s been a while since I’ve purchased a firearm, but you’re right. I forgot they do ask on that form if you’re an illegal immigrant or not.

And yes, I do recall that it says right on the form that any false answers constitutes a felony

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

The whole situation that our country is in thanks to ballot harvesting, stolen elections and Joe & Co, absolutely sickens me.

We are being invaded at our southern border, northern border and now seashore by terrorists, militants, gang members, murderers, rapists, etc.

God have mercy on this Republic.  It is indeed going to take a miracle to keep it together without a civil war.  :patriot:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Illegals have no durn rights. I am all for shall not infringe (on American legal citizens).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

It’s been a while since I’ve purchased a firearm, but you’re right. I forgot they do ask on that form if you’re an illegal immigrant or not.

And yes, I do recall that it says right on the form that any false answers constitutes a felony
:pondering: Unless you are a Biden or.....illegal immigrant

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It is still possible for a person to legally purchase a firearm from an individual who Does Not have a FFL and the buyer Does Not fill out an ATF Form 4473.

Offline Sighlass

It is still possible for a person to legally purchase a firearm from an individual who Does Not have a FFL and the buyer Does Not fill out an ATF Form 4473.

As it should be, a widow lady has by right the right to sell her guns she no longer can garnish effectively. For that matter so does just an average Joe... the judgement of character lies in their hands as it should be.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Another Judge Says Illegal Immigrants Have Second Amendment Rights
Some supposed defenders of the right to bear arms react with alarm.
BRIAN DOHERTY | 3.20.2024 4:15 PM

In a decision earlier this month in U.S. v. Carbajal-Flores from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman concluded that you can't always and under every circumstance prohibit people in the country illegally from legally possessing weapons.

The factual background of the prosecution of Heriberto Carbajal-Flores, as explained in Judge Coleman's decision: "On June 1, 2020, Carbajal-Flores possessed a handgun in the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. Carbajal-Flores contends that he received and used the handgun for self-protection and protection of property. Because of Carbajal-Flores' citizenship status, he was charged with violating of 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(5), which prohibits any noncitizen who is not legally authorized to be in the United States from 'possess[ing] in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.'"

Judge Coleman granted a motion to dismiss the charges against Carbajal-Flores, by declaring that such a blanket prohibition against weapons possession for a category of people can't withstand scrutiny under current Second Amendment doctrine.

https://reason.com/2024/03/20/another-judge-says-illegal-immigrants-have-second-amendment-rights/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Where is Biden on this?  Every time someone is shot by a white person, Biden is howling about doing away with the second Amendment.  But now that immigrants have gun rights, not a word from him.  What's up with that? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mod2

Topics merged/moved to 2nd Amendment category.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 21, 2024
They love the 2nd now
By Silvio Canto, Jr.

Who knew that a liberal judge would stand up for the Second Amendment?  Well, she did and added an unusual twist.

Let's check the story:

A liberal Illinois federal judge has ruled that an illegal immigrant was wrongly banned from possessing a firearm.

US District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman, an Obama appointee, ruled earlier this month that an illegal migrant residing in the US had his 2nd Amendment rights violated when he was charged for possession of a weapon.

Heriberto Carbajal-Flores was charged by prosecutors under US Code 18 § 922, which prohibits illegal immigrants from carrying guns or ammunition.

In her ruling, the judge with a liberal track record wrote: 'The noncitizen possession statute, 18 USC § 922(g)(5), violates the Second Amendment as applied to Carbajal-Flores.

Illegal no more, I guess. 

This is an absurd ruling for two reasons.   

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/03/they_love_the_2nd_now.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sighlass

Where is Biden on this?  Every time someone is shot by a white person, Biden is howling about doing away with the second Amendment.  But now that immigrants have gun rights, not a word from him.  What's up with that? :shrug:

Worth repeating.