Author Topic: State implements ban that will phase out a mainstay of cargo transportation: 'It is a big impact on  (Read 1853 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

State implements ban that will phase out a mainstay of cargo transportation: 'It is a big impact on my operations'
Story by Leslie Sattler • 23h • 2 min read

In an exciting step toward a greener future, California is pushing electric trucks as the way forward for cargo transport.

The state recently banned new registrations of carbon-fuel trucks at ports in favor of zero-emission alternatives, signaling a transformative shift in the industry, as reported by The New York Times.

Starting this week, diesel rigs can no longer be added to the list of new vehicles approved to move goods in and out of California's bustling ports. The state sees this as a prime opportunity to make substantial progress in reducing emissions from the trucking sector, which is currently a major source of carbon pollution.

Cleaning up the approximately 30,000 trucks registered at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, the nation's primary hub for container cargo, could lead to a significant decrease in both carbon emissions and lung-harming particulate matter in the air. Residents in port-adjacent communities like Wilmington currently face constant truck traffic and pollution, underscoring the importance of this transition.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/state-implements-ban-that-will-phase-out-a-mainstay-of-cargo-transportation-it-is-a-big-impact-on-my-operations/ar-BB1jWa48?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=78b1d2f068594c75ae690527a871aba3&ei=27
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In an exciting step toward a greener future

We'll see just how "exciting" it is. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Starting this week, diesel rigs can no longer be added to the list of new vehicles approved to move goods in and out of California's bustling ports. The state sees this as a prime opportunity to make substantial progress in reducing emissions from the trucking sector, which is currently a major source of carbon pollution."

Fishrrman fearless prediction:
It's not "the emissions" of trucks that are going to be "reduced".
Rather, it's the number of tractors that show up to haul the containers away.

Suppose they had a container port, and no trucks came to service the place?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Are there Constitutional provisions for restoring sanity to one of the States?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

If Oregon had a brain in their head... Or Washington.
But they don't.
Alaska would wlecome the trade, but moving it south would be a chore.
Vancover is just North Seattle.

Pacific trade is going to hinge on Mexico.

How crazy is that?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"Starting this week, diesel rigs can no longer be added to the list of new vehicles approved to move goods in and out of California's bustling ports. The state sees this as a prime opportunity to make substantial progress in reducing emissions from the trucking sector, which is currently a major source of carbon pollution."

Fishrrman fearless prediction:
It's not "the emissions" of trucks that are going to be "reduced".
Rather, it's the number of tractors that show up to haul the containers away.

Suppose they had a container port, and no trucks came to service the place?
The democrats in California are not happy that the Covid shortages are over for Californians....or any where else that depends on goods moving through California's ports.

Offline DB

But they don't.

How crazy is that?

Is Mexico busy building a new mega-container port? They should be.

Offline roamer_1

Is Mexico busy building a new mega-container port? They should be.

There was talk of it somewhere off of Baja... The way it looked, it wouldn't be far to Texas.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But they don't.

How crazy is that?
Well, (Panama) canal tolls are big, and would just add to the price of everything, so that's looking like it. The question is one of how much we want Mexico to control our formerly west coast delivered supply chain.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If not California or Mexico, there's also the port of Rupert in British Columbia. I believe they off-load directly from ship to train there - no "trucks in the middle".

But it may be at capacity now.

One thing is clear:
If California refuses to come back to its collective senses, a huge amount of truck and rail business there is simply going to disappear in the next 10-20 years.

Gone with the wind...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
NO plan to destroy any nation is complete without a plan to  destroy  their economy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!